Philip Melancthon on the Magistrate as Keeper of Both Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christusregnat

Puritan Board Professor
He, in the first Epistle to Timothy, says “I exhort that prayers be made for Kings, and all who are in superiortiy, that we may transact a peaceful and tranquil life with all piety and honesty.”In this place we eloquently hear that the Magistrate is established that their citizens may be peaceful not only in grave and honorable morals, that is, in such matters as pertain to the mutual duties among men, but also in securing piety and the public worship of God. In which I am of one mind with that most learned Doctor Philip Melancthon, "The Magistrate is not merely appointed by God as both the keeper and avenger of the second Table, but certainly also, and especially, of pure religion, with respect to which he keeps an external discipline."

Theodore Beza, Concerning the Punishment of Heretics by the Civil Magistrate

I don't see how you get from the king so ruling that "we may transact a peaceful and tranquil life with all piety and honesty" to the king therefore is the keeper and avenger of pure religion. In America today, for example, we have the former and not the latter. So one does not necessarily imply the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back