Phil Johnson's Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
To quote Phil Johnson (This bit appears as the listing regarding The Discerning Reading on Phil's bookmarks) on what happened over there:

The story of this company's sudden meltdown is one of the saddest and most bizarre sagas of the Christian Web. The Discerning Reader is a Medford, OR-based bookselling business that over the years sponsored several excellent and well-designed Web sites"”including Antithesis, Christian counterculture, and a colorful critique of postmodernism. At least ninety percent of their book recommendations were excellent and insightful. We highly recommended them for more than two years.
Then complaints began to multiply about customer service problems at The Discerning Reader. Customer-service difficulties per se are inevitable and an understandable part of doing business by mail. What was disturbing here was the coarse and pugnacious way owner Rob Schläpfer lashed out at his customers with profanity-laced abuse. We know this is a fact, because (even though we never complained about customer service,) as we have sought to understand and make sense of the changes taking place on the various Discerning Reader-sponsored Web sites, we have more than once been on the receiving end of some choice but unprintable expletives from Mr. Schläpfer.
As the controversy grew regarding Mr. Schlapfer and his abuse of customers, he began to attack the theological stance he himself had at first claimed to represent. He hypocritically wagged his finger at Reformed Christians, suggesting that their theology made them abusive and unloving. He has now given a wholesale endorsement and his highest rating to a book calling for evangelicals to embrace postmodernism. Since we once recommended this site and its sister sites with the highest accolades, we think it only fair to issue an equally strong warning: Discernment seems to be in very short supply these days at The Discerning Reader. Caveat emptor.

Bryan
SDG

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
John said, "And to believe he's with MacArthur and a historic Dispensational."

I do not think Phil Johnson is dispensational. I think he's somehting like a covenantal premill, or something like that.

Rich,

Questions for you and / or others (please sir):

- What is the difference between Historic Premillennialism and Covenantal Premillenialsm?
- How / where has Phil rejected Futuristic Premillennialism and embraced a more "covenantal" stance?
- Has Phil stepped down as an elder?
- Where can you verify the information that Phil is truly covenantal?

Not saying that anything is wrong with any of the above. :p

Just wondering b/c what I say and what is true can be skewed sometimes (Heard from so and so OR could have sworn I read that somewhere). I am in no way saying that anyone is skewing the truth !!! :bigsmile:
I just want verification other than word of mouth. :)

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by govols]

Originally posted by govols
Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
John said, "And to believe he's with MacArthur and a historic Dispensational."

I do not think Phil Johnson is dispensational. I think he's somehting like a covenantal premill, or something like that.

Rich,

Questions for you and / or others (please sir):

- What is the difference between Historic Premillennialism and Covenantal Premillenialsm?
- How / where has Phil rejected Futuristic Premillennialism and embraced a more "covenantal" stance?
- Has Phil stepped down as an elder?
- Where can you verify the information that Phil is truly covenantal?

Not saying that anything is wrong with any of the above. :p

Just wondering b/c what I say and what is true can be skewed sometimes (Heard from so and so OR could have sworn I read that somewhere). I am in no way saying that anyone is skewing the truth !!! :bigsmile:
I just want verification other than word of mouth. :)

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by govols]

I think covenantal premillennialism is the same thing as Progressive dispensationalism. I don't know for sure...

As for the next three questions I, for one, could not verify; however, I think for the most part his embracing of covnenatal premillennialism is one of semantics: He is still not friendly towards amillennialism/postmillennialism. When writers such as Ligon Duncan and others write superb articles on justification, imputation, etc., then he is willing to overlook their "hardline, doctrinaire amillennialism and sacramentology," taken from his review of pressiechurch.org.

Phil just posted this link on his blog: http://steve.poling.info/theofun.html

It's hilarious! It's meant to be "a virtual cheat-sheet so that when you can't think anything truly clever, you can still sound theologically erudite." LOL!

How's this? - "Most scholars seem to have forgotten that the introduction of gnosticism necessitates that urgent consideration be made of undue reliance on derivative materials." :lol::lol:

[Edited on 11/04/2004 by Reformed1]

Originally posted by Reformed1
Phil just posted this link on his blog: http://steve.poling.info/theofun.html

It's hilarious! It's meant to be "a virtual cheat-sheet so that when you can't think anything truly clever, you can still sound theologically erudite." LOL!

How's this? - "Most scholars seem to have forgotten that the introduction of gnosticism necessitates that urgent consideration be made of undue reliance on derivative materials." :lol::lol:

[Edited on 11/04/2004 by Reformed1]

very good !!! :bigsmile:

I am sure glad the Bible doesn't read like that ............ what would Peter have made of Paul then :detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back