Peter Sanlon, Simply God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
9781783591046.jpg

I have just finished Peter Sanlon's excellent book, Simply God, which is an edifying defence of the divine simplicity and its consistency with the doctrine of the Trinity. The author brilliantly combines scholastic theology with both devotional warmth and pastoral concern for his readers. It almost serves as a model of how to write academic theology in a non-boring manner. I cannot praise this book highly enough, though since I was given it to review for a magazine I better not say much more.

Simply God - Peter Sanlon : Inter-Varsity Press

P.S. Dr Sanlon is a Calvinistic Anglican and holds a PhD from Cambridge.

No, though he does deal with William Lane Craig. In some ways, it is more of a devotional book with footnotes than a polemic study. Perhaps he deals with Dr Craig because he is better known in the UK than those other two men (the author is a Church of England minister)?

Does the presentation allow for modes of being in terms of "affections/emotions?"

Thank you. I'm sold.

More and more, I'm coming to see that a significant barrier to effectively teaching kids the gospel is their need to better understand the essential nature of God (as well as the person of Christ). This means I regularly review trinity and simplicity as a part of going through both Nicaea and Chalcedon. Having to teach this has made me want to dig deeper, but I haven't done much digging yet on the essential nature of God side of things. It looks like this book can help!

More and more, I'm coming to see that a significant barrier to effectively teaching kids the gospel is their need to better understand the essential nature of God (as well as the person of Christ). This means I regularly review trinity and simplicity as a part of going through both Nicaea and Chalcedon.

That sounds like at good enterprise. I have been of the opinion for some time that the modern Reformed do not focus enough on issues such as theology proper, the Trinity, and Christology. The early Reformed certainly did not make this mistake, because not only does the balance of scripture require us to pay much attention to such issues, but many of our Reformed distinctives our contingent by orthodox Trinitarianism, theology proper, and Christology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back