Peter Immens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Cannon

Puritan Board Freshman
Peter Immens (1664-1720). Looking for any info about him. He was from the Netherlands and considered 'Reformed'. Just purchased his work on The Lord's Supper and am awaiting its arrival. Having trouble getting any bio of him. Anyone able to provide any?

He is not mentioned in "Meet the Puritans" but I was able to find the following excerpts:

"Peter Immens (1664-1720) was born in Oirschot, the son of a Reformed pastor. He was one of four boys in the family who became Reformed pastors. His father, Robert Immens, was also a Reformed pastor of strong pietist leanings. The story goes that the discipline of the household was so strict that children were not allowed to speak unless they were spoken to." Source.

Dutch Wikipedia also has this write up (I used Google translate so I cannot vouch for the accuracy but it appears to be legitimate):

"Immens was born in Oirschot as the son of the preacher Robertus Immens and Maria van der Deliën. He belonged to a family of pastors. His father and grandfathers were pastors. Five of his brothers studied theology as well as himself. He belonged to the Pietist movement in Protestantism. He studied theology in Utrecht and became a preacher in Oirschot, West-Souburg, Zaltbommel and Middelburg. In this place he was also the curator of the Latin School. He advocated the gathering of the faithful in so-called conventicles , companies in which religious services were held.

He is best known for his work The Godly Supper , of which a revised version was published in 2014. The religious services included in this book were written by Jacoba Petronella Winckelman . The Petrus Immens School in Middelburg is named after him."
Source.

Hopefully there is more biographical information shared in the book that you have ordered.

Last edited:
He is not mentioned in "Meet the Puritans" but I was able to find the following excerpts:

"Peter Immens (1664-1720) was born in Oirschot, the son of a Reformed pastor. He was one of four boys in the family who became Reformed pastors. His father, Robert Immens, was also a Reformed pastor of strong pietist leanings. The story goes that the discipline of the household was so strict that children were not allowed to speak unless they were spoken to." Source.

Dutch Wikipedia also has this write up (I used Google translate so I cannot vouch for the accuracy but it appears to be credible):

"Immens was born in Oirschot as the son of the preacher Robertus Immens and Maria van der Deliën. He belonged to a family of pastors. His father and grandfathers were pastors. Five of his brothers studied theology as well as himself. He belonged to the Pietist movement in Protestantism. He studied theology in Utrecht and became a preacher in Oirschot, West-Souburg, Zaltbommel and Middelburg. In this place he was also the curator of the Latin School. He advocated the gathering of the faithful in so-called conventicles , companies in which religious services were held.

He is best known for his work The Godly Supper , of which a revised version was published in 2014. The religious services included in this book were written by Jacoba Petronella Winckelman . The Petrus Immens School in Middelburg is named after him."
Source.

Hopefully there is more biographical information shared in the book that you have ordered.
Thank you for your efforts! This is helpful, and yes, hopefully more info will be provided in the book. He seems to have passed through history relatively unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back