Peter Du Moulin: A short pre-communion prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
A Shorter Prayer to use a little before the Communion.

O Lord Jesu, who callest me to thy Table, be pleased to meet me, and bring me to it thy self. Give me the two wings of faith and love to raise my heart to thee. O Son of God, who hast given thy self for me, and dost at this time give thy self to me, open thou my heart to receive thee, give me holy affections to entertain thee. That with a confidence tempered with humility and a joy full of holy trembling, I receive this high mystery of my salvation, yea, that I enjoy thine own self really and truly.

O thou that wouldst be conceived in the Virgin’s womb, be conceived again in my heart, that hereafter I may live with thy life. O thou that wouldst die for me, make me now feel the efficacy of thy death in the comfort of my soul and the mortification of my sinful affections.

O thou that art risen from the dead, and ascended to heaven, work a resurrection of holiness in my heart, and a lively faith to ascend to heaven after thee. There to embrace thee, and hold thee, while I take with my hand the outward elements of bread and wine. O bread of life come feed my soul. O holy Ghost give me the true taste of these great mercies. And for the fruits of thy bounty let me ever return the fruits of my love and thankfulness.

For the reference, see Peter Du Moulin: A short pre-communion prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back