Pertaining to life and godliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Puritan Board Freshman
His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness... that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. - 2Peter 1:3&4​

If God gives us the power to attain to all things godly, why do I still lose battles? WHAT AM I MISSING?

Warren, perhaps the simplest answer is that our participation grows. Just as God chose to have a process in the creation and perfection of the world, he has chosen to have a process in the redemption and sanctification of his chosen people. And therefore there is gradual growth, struggle, training through difficulty, and all the disagreeable bits.

That's not to say that we never make things worse for ourselves. But perhaps the main thing God seeks in us right now is despair of our own righteousness and persistent clinging to the righteousness of Christ.

I think about this as well. I know I truly desire to obey God every second of every day, but when I look back I see a lot of sin in my life that I never would have desired (jealousy, impatience, etc.) I have wondered why the Lord allowed me to continue to sin when my spirit was so eager to be holy. And I'm not referring to a nominal Christian life, I have had great passion to use the means of grace to try to honor the Lord, but I see many many failings that dishonor Him and hurt the Christian testimony. My thought has been, if God hates sin so much, why would He allow me to continue to do it when I desire to be holy?

Brothers, this is such a real issue I too struggle with... I mean, I feel like I have exhausted my own "efforts"; I have become the most disciplined person I know, I zealously read the word and engage in profitable dialogue, I pray and read and Jesus is always my desire... But seriously I feel like Im the same man I was 3 years ago (only now more jaded on my Sanctification process that seems more like a stale mate than a "process". I wish I could end this comment on a high note, but alas, I too like you brother Warren dont know what I am missing
. Further, I read that the Spirit really is the means that our change is rooted, but I feel like the Spirit doing this is my life is almost 100% unenviable :(

That said, I often think of when Packer talks about a friend of his who in-passing mentioned that he didn't mind the present negative circumstances in his life because he "know God", and it wasn't in merely the mental assent sort of "know", but a sort of knowing in the same way that I really know my wife and my kids... To me it seems the more we know Jesus the more we will love Him and then more "naturally" we will obey him more (and that from a place of love and not really moral obligation)... How can I come to a place where I know God more in a personal sense that touches my affections?

These contests are necessary to teach us how to use our weapons, and to teach us how to live by faith. It is by faith we overcome the world the flesh and the devil. So Peter explains (1Peter1:7), "That the trial of your faith ---though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." We are taught not to lean upon the arm of flesh, but upon the Beloved. Did not our Lord in the likeness of sinful and weak flesh, overcome the temptations that constantly attacked him, and became our example. "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourself with the same mind," and the same faith. He overcame not by exerting His divine omnipotence, but by love, grace and faith overcoming suffering, privations and finally death. We ought therefore to follow in His footsteps.

A few thoughts:

1. We are growing and learning, not yet grown and complete.

2. Much of what we must learn is dependence and patience. We should not demand that rigorous discipline bring holiness, because if it did, we could achieve holiness on our own. Such discipline is good (and likely a sign of the Spirit's work), but our growth is God's accomplishment more than it is ours. It may be that God, in his wisdom, delays a certain kind of growth we are seeking in order to grow us in some other way not on our radar... perhaps to increase our humility, or our patience, or our appreciation for Christ's sacrifice, or to do some other work in our souls.

3. Again, discipline is good. But sometimes discipline can warp into a performing-for-God or performing-for-others mindset so that the Father, in his loving care, won't yet give us the particular growth we seek lest we become prideful. If all you have learned in these many years of effort is that you must be humble and patient, and that there is more faith you still must receive from God, then you have grown very much indeed. Continue to run hard, and the Father will give you every good thing, each in its best time.

A few thoughts:

2. Much of what we must learn is dependence and patience. We should not demand that rigorous discipline bring holiness, because if it did, we could achieve holiness on our own. Such discipline is good (and likely a sign of the Spirit's work), but our growth is God's accomplishment more than it is ours. It may be that God, in his wisdom, delays a certain kind of growth we are seeking in order to grow us in some other way not on our radar... perhaps to increase our humility, or our patience, or our appreciation for Christ's sacrifice, or to do some other work in our souls.

Wow, that is a blessing and comfort to read. Thank you

I had to vent my frustration, folks. I didn't mean to take a pessimistic tone. I feel stagnated, and my casemanager (the man shepherding me at my homeless shelter) proposed it is because I'm not being tried as I ought... If that makes sense? It made sense to me. He suggested I look into missions work, or something I can personally do to evangelize. He's of the persuasion many Christians stagnate, because we live comfortably and secure, and our testimonies aren't being tried by the fire of persecution.

Jack, Ruben, and Jeff... thanks for your words of encouragement. I hope this thread finds it's way to the top of Google, so others who search can find your answers. They aren't very cozy answers, but I was encouraged, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back