Personality type and theology

• Thread starter Deleted member 7239
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7239

What effect does your personality type have on your theological convictions?

There was a related thread back in 2010 which revealed that most PB members are one of a few Myers Briggs personality types. Mostly INTJ, INFJ, & ENTJ. Each of these types comprise around 2% of the population.

Apart from making us all feel warm and special, and apart from debating the legitimacy of personality types, what do we believe causes this trend?

If you are curious of your dominant type here’s a 12 minutes test: (this isn’t a “Which Lord of the Rings character are you?” test— it takes your own perceptions of yourself and assigns a dominant type based on traits)

https://www.16personalities.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

There was a related thread back in 2010 which revealed that most PB members are one of a few Myers Briggs personality types. Mostly INTJ, INFJ, & ENTJ. Each of these types comprise around 2% of the population.

Apart from making us all feel warm and special, and apart from debating the legitimacy of personality types, what do we believe causes this trend?

If you are curious of your dominant type here’s a 12 minutes test: (this isn’t a “Which Lord of the Rings character are you?” test— it takes your own perceptions of yourself and assigns a dominant type based on traits)

Just took the test, and graded out an an Adventurer type.

Not all those who have Reformed convictions are on the PB. In my experience, those who hold to the Reformed faith are of a variety of temperaments and dispositions. However, those who are inclined to discuss theology on FB or PB tend to have some similarities in interests and free time, and they are of a handful of temperaments and dispositions. One can usually tell by the way a person is whether they would be interested in discussing theology on the internet. So my hypothesis (which you can feel free to test in a statistically rigorous way, controlling for sample selection, bias, age, etc.) is that personality type has something to do with the sorts of people who post on PB, but has little or nothing to do with those who hold to the Reformed faith.

Also, one needs to consider differences between male and female. In my experience, the probability that it is the men who discuss theology (like theonomy, paedobaptism, etc.) is higher than it is that the women discuss such. I'm not saying that the contrary is uncommon or unnatural, but generally, in a mixed setting, the men will tend to get together to discuss that sort of theology, while the women will tend to discuss more "practical" or "experiential" aspects of theology.

interesting, hadnt thought of this and how it affects our theology... hmmm, Ill go take the test.... 20 yrs ago I was an ENFJ, but I wonder if things change over time (and some of the scoring was sooo close, like I couldve been P instead of J, etc. Sometimes I hate the "in a box" feeling of only answering one way, when I can see it both ways sometimes, on these types of tests....

Well, havent changed, ha , ENFJ-T ( I was close on the J or T part) haha, nothing's changed in 25+ years! LOL!

With incredulity and astonishment I am, LOGICIAN (INTP-A). And I thought I was more of a
MAGICIAN! Left wondering, but,my mother would have been proud of me.

ISTJ-A.

I agree with Ramon that I think certain personality types are more prone towards internet chat. It's not absolute, but it seems introverts gravitate towards it much more. We can unite and be together in our own private spaces.

I think the results might be similar in other theology forums that are not Reformed.

I agree with Ramon that I think certain personality types are more prone towards internet chat.

I don't know if it was 16 Personalities or elsewhere but INTJ is supposedly vastly over-represented online, especially on forums. So there is a bit of selection bias I think going on. (I say that as an INTJ) Probably a social outlet for introversion along with the desire to digest vast amounts of info I would guess.

Last edited:
They have seen fit to label me a Virtuoso, part of which involves me not caring what they think. Pretty accurate.

More importantly Richard, Sir Winston Churchill wrote, "the Welsh as a nation have never been conquered." Not by Romans, Normans nor Saxons. We sent them all away covered in Ketchup, which they thought was blood! It is still strongly held that a Welsh Prince discovered America, and converted them to them to the said embellishment. But the rest of the world have been playing ketchup ever since!

More importantly Richard, Sir Winston Churchill wrote, "the Welsh as a nation have never been conquered." Not by Romans, Normans nor Saxons. We sent them all away covered in Ketchup, which they thought was blood! It is still strongly held that a Welsh Prince discovered America, and converted them to them to the said embellishment. But the rest of the world have been playing ketchup ever since!

Famous Welsh people: Tom Jones, Richard Burton, Hywel Jones. Trivia fact: Burton was Jones's cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back