Pcusa sues epc

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes: And the PCUSA apparently mandates that all their churches and foreign churches that they support MUST have female elders. That might make a migration to a faithful reformed denomination a bit more difficult.

Actually this isn't true - at least if true it's not enforced. They may WANT all of their congregations to have female elders, but churches don't get kicked out for having biblical elders only.

I'd be curious about your statement, Todd. I know of at least a couple of PCA TEs who were disciplined years ago because they would not permit women elders in their own churches. I have also seen churches get disciplined for that. In fact, the only thing I have ever seen discipline enacted for in PCUSA contexts is failure to ordain women.

Fred, in your second sentence you state, at least a couple of PCA TE's were disciplined. I assumed you meant to say PCUSA TE's. Is that correct?

Enforcement 9/10 of the law

And the PCUSA apparently mandates that all their churches and foreign churches that they support MUST have female elders. That might make a migration to a faithful reformed denomination a bit more difficult.

Actually this isn't true - at least if true it's not enforced. They may WANT all of their congregations to have female elders, but churches don't get kicked out for having biblical elders only.

I'd be curious about your statement, Todd. I know of at least a couple of PCA TEs who were disciplined years ago because they would not permit women elders in their own churches. I have also seen churches get disciplined for that. In fact, the only thing I have ever seen discipline enacted for in PCUSA contexts is failure to ordain women.

The PCUSA Constitution requires that ordination not be denied women by any session or Presbytery. There are mechanisms through denomination agencies to promote it as well.

Enforcement of the constitution is, as we say, 9/10 of the law.:cool:

And the PCUSA apparently mandates that all their churches and foreign churches that they support MUST have female elders. That might make a migration to a faithful reformed denomination a bit more difficult.

The PCUSA Constitution requires that ordination not be denied women by any session or Presbytery. There are mechanisms through denomination agencies to promote it as well.

Well, I know of a session and pastor of a PCUSA church near us (no names, no places given) that will ordain no women (and have heard of others) - and the congregation is behind them as well. So far as I know, they've received zero flak from the denomination (perhaps it's because the pastor has little to nothing to do with either Presbytery or the GA).

Well, I know of a session and pastor of a PCUSA church near us (no names, no places given) that will ordain no women (and have heard of others) - and the congregation is behind them as well. So far as I know, they've received zero flak from the denomination (perhaps it's because the pastor has little to nothing to do with either Presbytery or the GA).

And probably because no one has lodged a complaint.

Fred, in your second sentence you state, at least a couple of PCA TE's were disciplined. I assumed you meant to say PCUSA TE's. Is that correct?

No, but I was not clear. I was talking about men who are now PCA TEs, who were disciplined (or at least threatened) years ago when they were part of the mainline church.

No, but I was not clear. I was talking about men who are now PCA TEs, who were disciplined (or at least threatened) years ago when they were part of the mainline church.

Thank you for the clarification.

In a parallel case to litigation between the PCUSA and EPC is this case involving the Episcopal Church in Virginia:

Court Rules in Favor of Departing Churches in Constitutionality of Virginia Statute

Some State's case law ("hierachical") automatically assume a particular church's property is owned by its denomination or a unit thereof such as a presbytery or diocises.
Other State's law does not assume that. In these State's, the court would expect a denomination to protect its property rights by filing in court. That's the initial action in this court case.

It's implication is that a presbytery might not have title to a particular church's property if the presbytery has not tried to assert that property right in court before (by filing a deed, quiet title action, etc.)

Interesting. A friend of mine is a member of Londonderry. I'll have to ask him to keep me (and us) posted on the happenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back