PCA on the RPW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliejunfan

Puritan Board Senior
Can someone please direct me to any articles or statements from the PCA on why they believe they are RPW without being EP and non instruments?

I have my own reasons why I am not Psalms only but I would like to see some kind of official write up by the PCA or OPC as to why they are not EP/non- instrumental.

I am not writing this for any debates, I am only interested in the information, thank you :)

I don't think you'll find anything official, say, like in the OPC that did take up the issue of psalmody because John Murray raised it when the subject of a hymnal for the young denomination was raised (1945 or thereabouts). The PCA came out of the PCUS which split from the PCUSA in the 1860s. The PCUSA formally approved hymns in their directory for worship in 1789. The psalmody wars had already taken place at that point throughout that century and with the PCUSA formally taking the nonEP position it has really been a non issue in the PCUSA tradition until as I say Murray (who was previously Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland) raised it. You can find more on the musical instruments issue by looking at material on the introduction of the organ in 19th century American Presbyterianism. The move started at least in the 1840s (see Organ Grinding circa 1849 attached) and continued till the last gasp defense against the practice was made by Girardeau in the late 1880s. Since the proscription of musical instruments was a traditional rather than a formal one (i.e. the standards did not speak to it) the only hurddle was custom I guess. I don't think there is any case law on it; maybe Wayne Sparkman knows? Wayne?

Can someone please direct me to any articles or statements from the PCA on why they believe they are RPW without being EP and non instruments?

I have my own reasons why I am not Psalms only but I would like to see some kind of official write up by the PCA or OPC as to why they are not EP/non- instrumental.

I am not writing this for any debates, I am only interested in the information, thank you :)

----------
I moved this to the EP forum because it goes there but consider this an information thread only per the OP.

Thanks Wayne; that was mainly about increasing singing of psalms in the PCA; exclusive psalmody itself wasn't raised was it?

As the PCA holds to and subscribes to the Westminster Standards, they must claim to adhere to the RPW in some form. Thus, they broaden their interpretation of the RPW, some more, some less. However, I’ve known PCA ministers who could not articulate the RPW very well, showing little understanding of its meaning. Growing up in the PCUS in the fifties and sixties, from which the PCA originally came, I never heard anything of the RPW. I’m pleased to see an increased discussion of the RPW in some PCA circles, even when they come to different conclusions than mine.

Glenn:

In my study of the Regulative Principle, one of the things I noticed was that it appeared that published discussion tended to appear about every 3-4 generations--every 70-80 years. You are certainly right that there was little discussion of the Reg. Prin. in the PCUS and early PCA. For one, most of the founding fathers of the PCA were educated at "moderately" liberal seminaries. The major discussion within the PCA came in the early and mid-1990s. We're now 15 years beyond that point.

The greatest danger that I see is when in regard to worship the Regulative Principle is mis-stated, leaving off the all-important nuance of good and necessary consequence. A truncated definition is capable of being dismissed, and that is what you tend to see in FV circles.

Believing churchmen in a liberal denomination are kept busy fighting other battles, trying to maintain the gospel; they have little energy to give to other issues such as Biblical worship. Though understandable, this seems a mistake, given the reality of the Reformation being about worship as much as doctrine. PCUSA and Church of Scotland folk, to a lesser degree, seem to pay little attention to such matters as the content of sung praise, special music in worship, female or non ordained leadership, or additional elements added. CoS people are now upset about the installation of a practicing homosexual as pastor. The battle was lost long ago in other compromises regarding the authority and warrant of God’s word regarding doctrine, government and worship.

Interesting, as I read this [informative, useful, well written report by the PCA] that our Hymnal has so many Psalms, didn't realize that until now.

Without diving into what I have come to understand as the Exclusive Psalmody (EP) aspect of the Regulative Principle of Worship (RPW), but to answer the original post, I think the interpretation within the PCA has been more broad toward the "E" of EP. [Glenn alluded to this in his post above]. That is, broad to include psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.

What is good to see is that has been good official study on this for resource, and perhaps more awareness of the doctrinal basis of worship in generally. Also encouragement to sing psalms as part of worship, and definite usable resources for singing the psalms in worship- even the Trinity Hymnal!

PCA Position Papers - 1993 Report of the "Psalm Singing" Subcommittee

1. That the General Assembly reaffirm that Psalm-singing in the worship of God is a Gospel ordinance, is commended by the Westminster Confession, and is an historic practice of Reformed churches.

2. That congregations be encouraged to sing at least one Psalm at each of their services.

3. That congregations be encouraged to identify Psalm-settings as Psalms, when they are sung.

4. That hymnal-using congregations be encouraged to use the Psalm-rich Trinity Hymnal (since it averages 10 times the number of Psalms as the comparable Evangelical hymnals).

5. That a program of re-education be undertaken by the CE&P Committee including:

a. Articles in the Messenger that explore such things as the history and value of Psalm singing.

b. Providing instruction in its educational material on the Scriptural mandate and historic precedent for Psalm-singing in the worship of God, and many ways in which the person, sufferings, resurrection, and ongoing Messianic work of Christ are set forth in the Psalms.

c. Produce worship bulletin inserts which feature two Psalm settings as found in the Trinity Hymnal, thereby promoting both the hymnal and Psalm-singing.

6. Form an ad hoc committee of the CE&P to complete the discussion with the RPCNA to the end that a simplified edition of The Book of Psalms for Singing might be produced with this format:

- a complete Psalter
- words only (normally one tune and version per Psalm)
- a slender, inexpensive hymnal supplement

7. The funding be private, details to be worked out by the CE&P Committee in discussions with the RPCNA's Crown and Covenant Publications.

8. That Christian Education and Publication contact other Reformed denominations informing them of the above recommendations and of the availability in the future of the adapted edition of The Book of Psalms for Singing with a view to encouraging the use of this metrical version of the Psalms in those Presbyterian and Reformed Churches in America which do not currently use a denominational Psalter.
PCA Historical Center Note: One result of this report was the production in 1994 of the Trinity Psalter. As noted in the Preface to that work, it is essentially the Book of Psalms for Singing, reduced greatly in size by using only one version of each Psalm, by citing only one tune per Psalm, and through the elimination of the musical score. The Trinity Psalter can be ordered from the Christian Education and Publications Bookstore.

Believing churchmen in a liberal denomination are kept busy fighting other battles, trying to maintain the gospel; they have little energy to give to other issues such as Biblical worship. Though understandable, this seems a mistake, given the reality of the Reformation being about worship as much as doctrine. PCUSA and Church of Scotland folk, to a lesser degree, seem to pay little attention to such matters as the content of sung praise, special music in worship, female or non ordained leadership, or additional elements added. CoS people are now upset about the installation of a practicing homosexual as pastor. The battle was lost long ago in other compromises regarding the authority and warrant of God’s word regarding doctrine, government and worship.

Pastor Ferrell - not to get too off topic, but my understanding is that the OPC is not EP either. I think it is fair to say the OPC is more EP than the PCA - would you agree? And if so, why do you think that is?

Pastor Ferrell - not to get too off topic, but my understanding is that the OPC is not EP either. I think it is fair to say the OPC is more EP than the PCA - would you agree? And if so, why do you think that is?

It is rare I visit an OP or PCA congregation and don’t hear at least one Psalm sung, often more. This is a good development. As I’ve only been in the OPC for four years, I’m a poor choice to give an analysis of such matters. I do believe the OPC is more prone to singing Psalms in general. This may be because of:

1) The early influence of Dutch (Van Til, Stonehouse) and Scottish (John Murray) men in the OPC. These outside influences persist today.

2) The denomination is older and has had time to mature and consider these matters.

3) The 1947-48 committee report on the content of sung praise. The OPC web site maintains both the majority (pro-hymnody) and minority (pro-EP) reports. So, these have been around for more than 60 years now.

4) A greater doctrinal emphasis in the OPC than some other Reformed denominations, paying attention to a broader portion of the Westminster Standards, and pressing candidates for ordination for their standing on such matters as the RPW.

5) Though the DPW of the OPC seems to allow for the singing of non inspired hymns, it also suggests the frequent singing of metrical Psalms.

Here are some sections of the PCA Book of Church Order (Entire BCO: Presbyterian Church in America:  Stated Clerk / Administrative Committee)

DIRECTORY FOR WORSHIP
Temporary statement adopted by the Third General Assembly to preface the
Directory for Worship
: The Directory for Worship is an approved guide and
should be taken seriously as the mind of the Church agreeable to the
Standards. However, it does not have the force of law and is not to be
considered obligatory in all its parts.

47-9. The Bible teaches that the following are proper elements of worship
service: reading of Holy Scripture, singing of psalms and hymns, the
offering of prayer, the preaching of the Word, the presentation of offerings,
confessing the faith and observing the Sacraments; and on special occasions
taking oaths.

CHAPTER 51
The Singing of Psalms and Hymns
51-1. Praising God through the medium of music is a duty and a privilege.
Therefore, the singing of hymns and psalms and the use of musical
instruments should have an important part in public worship.
51-2. In singing the praises of God, we are to sing in the spirit of worship,
with understanding in our hearts.
51-3. It is recommended that Psalms be sung along with the hymns of the
Church, but that caution be observed in the selection of hymns, that they be
true to the Word. Hymns should have the note of praise, or be in accord with
the spirit of the sermon.
51-4. The leadership in song is left to the judgment of the Session, who
should give careful thought to the character of those asked to lead in this part
of worship, and the singing of a choir should not be allowed to displace
congregational singing.
51-5. The proportion of the time of public worship given to praise is left to
the judgment of the minister, and the singing of psalms and hymns by the
congregation should be encouraged.

This should explain the PCA's general position on music and worship.

It is my understanding (I may be wrong) that when it comes to the interpretation of Colossians 3:16 (at least in my presbytery) there is no need for a pastor to take exception to the WCF if he believes in using instruments and singing hymns and spiritual songs along with the psalms because of the BCO statements above.

Our church has a written statement on music in worship that is similar to this, but more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back