PCA General Assembly in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rev. Greco resumes: recommend vote against minority report as substitute.

There is no time limit in committee, it takes 3/4ths to cut off debate.

If the substitute is the main motion, you should recommit it back to the Overtures Committee, because it's not amendable on the floor.

Division was called.

Moderator called for standing vote.

Moderator: minority report has failed.

Main motion now. Discussion called.

Each generation should talk these things in great detail, and own things in every generation.

Speaker in favor of the majority report: committee did excellent job.

Speaker against the majority report: Chaired the committee that produced Overture 9. Philadelphia presbytery has tried to work this through the local level, and that's why we asked help. The PCA has since 1984 recognized that a Biblical case can be made for women as deacons, but not practice it, as an exception, for ordination.

But what do you practice? "The role of women in diaconal ministries" was our phrase. We find ourselves in difficulty defining that. Speak against the majority report.

The majority report is on the floor now, having voted down the minority report.

Speaker against feminism.

Talking about this gives legitimacy to feminism.

Moderator calls for a speaker against the majority report.

Speaker has a question -- what is the status if this motion is defeated?

Moderator ruled that a negative vote would return the overture to the Overtures Committee.

Speaker said churches tried to follow the BCO and got exceptions to their minutes. This needs to be studied more, and not lead to slippery slope. Speaker was on trial during his adoption for being in the PCA and possibly harming his adoptive daughter, because of the PCA's position on women. This needs to be discussed.

Rev. Greco repeats the proposal of the committee on Overture 9.

Moderator calls for a vote.

Overture 19 be answered with reference to #9, with a minute explanatory.

Overture 19 asks to decline to have a study committee on women deacons.

It passes.

Speaker: Those who said that the ones who favored the study committee being "tools of feminism" caused offense.

The tone was un-Christian, and needs to be addressed. It was inflammatory.

Moderator: I pray no one was offended. If so, speak to me personally, I will pray with you. We are family. Christ was Somebody; we were nobodies. In humility, consider others better than yourself. No stronger words than the Bible.

Another point of order: I was the brother accused of offense. My desire was for the purity, health, and love of Christ of the church. I stand by that. My brother has a right to be offended. I have no power over that.

Moderator: Thanks.

Another speaker: Apologize for speaking on points that were not necessary.

Moderator: We knew this was the biggest issue. A little tension should not surprise us. I think there is a lot of support and love in this auditorium.

Speaker: Impressed with Moderator's gracious demeanor. Lead us in prayer now.

Moderator: Let's pray.

70 presbyteries got approval and can be voted omnibus.

6 presbyteries did not -- got disapprovals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back