PCA, Committees, and Non-Ordained persons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew P.C.

Puritan Board Junior
Recently, for personal interest, I watched most of the videos from this last PCA General Assembly. After reflecting on some of the issues that were brought up, I have comments that can hopefully make this thread into fruitful discussions (Lord Willing).

First, over all I find myself more disappointed with the state of the church as a whole. I think if anyone sees the American church to be well off, they (in my opinion) are sadly mistaken.

Secondly, there seems to be some loss of understanding regarding church courts, their functions, and their nature. This second point is only a demonstration of the first, I.e. not having a proper understanding of the nature of the church.

I saw some people arguing for a particular point regarding woman and non-ordained men to be able to serve on committees that "advise" church courts (or serving as advisors). Whatever the exact function of the committee is, it's purpose is to serve and advise the church courts in one form or fashion (since that's the point of committees). What I find quite disheartening is when ordained officers (who would consider themselves either confessional or conservative) argue for women and non-ordained men to be on these committees that advise the church (GA or even Presbyteries). Committees are still a part of the church and function as an extension to study for and advise the church on what it should do (hence "recommendations").

The question for those who might argue for non-ordained persons on these committees is this: what biblical warrant does one have for such a claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back