PB Debate Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
OK, this is one I have thought of a long time and it is a thing that has come up in threads, I think done carefully, in can be done in charity and Christian love. The debate? The TR vs the CT! I suggest a debate in the form proposed for the EP debate, as a TR man, I would love Matthew Winzer defending the Received Text! I feel, the topic could be very instructive, as I have said, threads and mini-debates are to be found in our archives, but no single cohesive formal debate. :2cents::):popcorn:

By the way if you would like to see a debate as suggested, since I did not have a poll, post a yes!:):popcorn::wwbd:

I think Lane Keister could do a good job on the other side of the debate, if such a thing could be set up. I can see it being very profitable.

I think Lane Keister could do a good job on the other side of the debate, if such a thing could be set up. I can see it being very profitable.
Thank you Ruben! I also think it would profit many people. I really like the idea of the PB having some controlled in-house debates, with just two people debating. :) Very glad to have a Mod. friend who likes the idea! Any admins who like this?

Maybe it can come after the EP and Baptism debates. Maybe in 2010? (he said only half jokingly). Actually the EP is back on track if not scheduled; so look for some word on that by summers end if not earlier, DV.

Maybe it can come after the EP and Baptism debates. Maybe in 2010? (he said only half jokingly). Actually the EP is back on track if not scheduled; so look for some word on that by summers end if not earlier, DV.

I can't wait for the EP debate... Thanks for the heads up Chris.

If this debate ever gets done, it would be nice to set up the format so that three areas are specifically addressed:
1. God's preservation of His text, which I think is the theological argument.
2. The differing methodologies.
3. Two sample cases: maybe John 7:53-8:11 and Romans 14:9?

Some of us are for this if for no other reason than to find out what "TR" and "CT" stand for.

In addition to an explanation of why initials are used to represent substantive theological position, it will be helpful to have a clear, spirited, yet charitable presentation of both sides.

If, as I expect, this has something to do with "reformed" or "covenant" it will be beneficial to model a good Christian debate on the blogosphere- focused on the issue, well thought out positions, charitable, factual, without impugning character or institutions, informative, interesting, etc.

Soli Deo Gloria

Some of us are for this if for no other reason than to find out what "TR" and "CT" stand for.

Quite true. I'm constantly at a loss because I'm forgetting my Puritan Board (PB here after) decoder ring all over the place...

http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/glossary-reformed-acronyms-7758/

Wow, the GRA (OSJVH) is impressive.

Having thought "TR" was taken by Teddy Roosevelt, it is good to be aware of the emminent theologian here on Puritan Board, Mr Textus Receptus. I'm sure he will do well in any debate. :cool::cool::cool:

GRA Glossary of Reformed Acronyms
OSJVH Originally Suggested Jokingly by Virginia Huguenot

Quite true. I'm constantly at a loss because I'm forgetting my Puritan Board (PB here after) decoder ring all over the place...
Any of our Admins will replace lost decoder rings at the low price of $1000 per Member. The cost is to defray expenses given that the Board has to re-tweak lost codes if they have fallen into Arminian hands.:):):)

Personally, I'd like to see a Winzer-Rafalsky tag-team in defence of the TR...
That would be nice!:book2: Anyone else who would be interested in the Topic as a PB Debate?:popcorn:

This is an excellent idea (EI). There are many issues that could be profitably debated along these lines, with posts limited in length (LIL), and necessarily alternating (NA). I think Jonathan is right on track (ROT). It would probably be profitable to have a two man team (TMT) on each panel. In addition, each panel could ask certain individuals (CIs) to help behind the scenes (BTS), if they so desired. It would be good to have a maximum length post (MLP) that is narrow enough to keep the discussion on track (KDOT), but long enough to allow significant interaction (ASI - I think that's taken). Also, a maximum time between posts (MTBP) would be helpful. :2cents:

What will this lead to? Paedo/Credo; NCT/CT; Gold/USD; UK/USA; etc/ad finitum...

Personally, I'd like to see a Winzer-Rafalsky tag-team in defence of the TR...
That would be nice!:book2: Anyone else who would be interested in the Topic as a PB Debate?:popcorn:

This is an excellent idea (EI). There are many issues that could be profitably debated along these lines, with posts limited in length (LIL), and necessarily alternating (NA). I think Jonathan is right on track (ROT). It would probably be profitable to have a two man team (TMT) on each panel. In addition, each panel could ask certain individuals (CIs) to help behind the scenes (BTS), if they so desired. It would be good to have a maximum length post (MLP) that is narrow enough to keep the discussion on track (KDOT), but long enough to allow significant interaction (ASI - I think that's taken). Also, a maximum time between posts (MTBP) would be helpful. :2cents:

What will this lead to? Paedo/Credo; NCT/CT; Gold/USD; UK/USA; etc/ad finitum...
TYVM. IA. In my humble opinion. a TR vs CT debate. with parameters (a.s.) would be be helpful and edifying. TJMT (thats just me though):lol::):confused::wwbd::popcorn:

OK, this is one I have thought of a long time and it is a thing that has come up in threads, I think done carefully, in can be done in charity and Christian love. The debate? The TR vs the CT! I suggest a debate in the form proposed for the EP debate, as a TR man, I would love Matthew Winzer defending the Received Text! I feel, the topic could be very instructive, as I have said, threads and mini-debates are to be found in our archives, but no single cohesive formal debate. :2cents::):popcorn:

Huh...I thought that debate was settled. :lol: Don't read the NIV huh? How about the ESV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back