Paul Washer on Unbiblical Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, most Evangelicals are under the false assumption that prayer is not something that needs to be studied. It is assumed that the gift of supplication comes with no effort on our own part. Washer prefaces his remarks for precisely this reason. He knows he is about to say something that most will find offensive. "How dare you judge anyone's prayers!"

I'm very thankful to have a pastor that prays biblically—never lightly, and always soaked with Scripture. Our pastoral prayers in worship tend to be just as much if not more edifying than the sermons!

What are your thoughts on scripted prayer? That is prayer that is written out in manuscript format ahead of time and read verbatim from the pulpit.

I'm very thankful to have a pastor that prays biblically—never lightly, and always soaked with Scripture. Our pastoral prayers in worship tend to be just as much if not more edifying than the sermons!
That is certainly a treat, so to speak. My pastor does a lovely job with his prayers, too.
I have a professor at seminary, Rev. Mark Vander Hart, who has probably the best prayers I’ve ever heard. They absolutely steeped in Scripture.

What are your thoughts on scripted prayer? That is prayer that is written out in manuscript format ahead of time and read verbatim from the pulpit.
My church elders deliver scripted Prayer during service. I thought it odd at first, but have come to greatly appreciate it. They don’t treat prayer like an off the cuff exercise. They deliver well articulated and meditated prayers. And they do so with great reverence.

One of our ruling elders, when he delivers the evening prayer, often reads from a handwritten prayer. I am always most edified.

For some reason, most Evangelicals are under the false assumption that prayer is not something that needs to be studied. It is assumed that the gift of supplication comes with no effort on our own part. Washer prefaces his remarks for precisely this reason. He knows he is about to say something that most will find offensive. "How dare you judge anyone's prayers!"
Any good studies on private prayers as most seem to think he is taking aim at public ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back