Painting wooden boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Q1 Painting the bare wood I am tempted to oil it (it is very old and dry) although I intuitively feel this will preserve and strengthen the wood something tells me the paint won't stick to the wood once oiled? Correct?

Q2 I need to get the paint on and DRY over the next fortnight. I think my mistake in previous years has been to go back over the paint to ensure an even coat. This makes the paint too thick to dry in the usual 24hrs. Correct?
Should I just go over it once and leave imperfections for the next coat or apply it more liberally in the first place?

I think you're always better to do as many coats as you have time for, not making any of them too thick, and ideally giving a quick rub-down inbetween. One thick one is tempting as a time-saver but in practice doesn't give anything like as good a finish. I've never tried paint on top of oil - i've got the same hunch that it might not take, but perhaps it would depend on the type of paint? You could always ask at wherever you buy your supplies.

Has the boat been in the water recently? Painting a dried out hull can cause serious problems.

Well I was right about the oil, if the sun were to shine on the paint it would bring the oil out and blister the paint - my local boat builder. He recommends primer, undercoat x2, gloss x2 - five coats in all!

I also found some quick drying gloss (Crown) which should be ready for a re-coat in 6 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back