Owen for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mortification is typically the place people start. This is the Banner of Truth edition, with minor editing for readability. However, I'd recommend trying out Communion with God (Banner edition) first (or the unedited here). I think that will give you a better placement in the scope of Owen's thinking. My personal favorite of his is The Glory of Christ (Banner edition here).

I heard a wonderful sermon on the glory of Christ....it's the eighth one down here. That was actually what started me thinking I must get into Owen, but I didn't know if it would be the best to begin with.. many thanks for input

My opinion is to buy the volumes one at a time. They texts aren't chopped up into smaller paraphrases, but are preserved the way he wrote them. Get a notepad and pencil, and be prepared to read several paragraphs over again before moving to the next. It may seem laborious, but the reward will truly compensate. Volume 6 contains four works, "On the Mortification of Sin", "On Temptation", "On Indwelling Sin in Believers", and "Exposition of Psalm 130", which, I think, are mentioned above as good recommendations.

A good deal can be found here: The Works of John Owen, vol. 6 - Reformation Heritage Books for under $20,

or a used edition here: Amazon.com: Used and New: Temptation and Sin (Works of John Owen, Volume 6) for about $13.

Blessings!

His 16 volume set is outstanding, yet it is expensive. If you just start with a little bit at a time you will get the feel for his writing. He is exhaustive in everything he writes so he leaves no stone unturned. You can read almost everything he has written online if you search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back