Ought Christians to actively campaign against Easter & those celebrating such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how have those of you who hold this opinion persuaded others of your position? I saw the post on the WCF, so thats one angle but what about biblical arguments that have been the most useful? It may seem I'm trying to derail the thread but I'm not. It may be of some use to reformed grit (sorry to refer to you in the third person) and anyone else who is struggling with this to read practical examples that were the most affective at this?
It's really more a question against celebration of an extra-Biblical calendar apart from a Sabbath. My church and denomination support celebrating Easter, but I am out of step with that. Ought I to continuously raise holy stench over such, or give up the ghost, helping preserve church unity where I'm a minority making waves?
I'm only two years shy of reformed grit's days on this earth and been pretty much cage stage on this holy day issue since 1984 when I was convinced of it. But I've happily not been in a position since all that time where the church I was in went totally gaga for hoho days, etc., and all the trimmings. It was minor to total ignoring all that time as far as in the worship of the church. Apart from plainly laying out issues such as when something is clearly a human ceremony and violates basic principles any Presbyterian can see as clear as under the noonday sun (as in the case I mentioned above somewhere of the intern confront the use of an advent candle in the church he was interning at) I think what has been useful for discussion (as here on PB) has been presenting literature on the regulative principle and history of the opposition to pretended holy days in Presbyterianism. While I have been convinced nearly forty years now, that does not mean I have not nuanced my views over the years as I've dug deeper or thought about things through such as in interactions on PB.

I'm only two years shy of reformed grit's days on this earth and been pretty much cage stage on this holy day issue since 1984 when I was convinced of it. But I've happily not been in a position since all that time where the church I was in went totally gaga for hoho days, etc., and all the trimmings. It was minor to total ignoring all that time as far as in the worship of the church. Apart from plainly laying out issues such as when something is clearly a human ceremony and violates basic principles any Presbyterian can see as clear as under the noonday sun (as in the case I mentioned above somewhere of the intern confront the use of an advent candle in the church he was interning at) I think what has been useful for discussion (as here on PB) has been presenting literature on the regulative principle and history of the opposition to pretended holy days in Presbyterianism. While I have been convinced nearly forty years now, that does not mean I have not nuanced my views over the years as I've dug deeper or thought about things through such as in interactions on PB.
Thank you for the info it was good and makes sense on how to go about it.

What happened?
One of the legacy chller pipes broke on a Friday night. Water damaged 3 levels of mostly renovated space from the original 1990s expansion. The new building wasn't damaged but the gym and senior high areas on the other side of the old space were. I've been told that sensors have been installed to avoid a repeat. Over a million and a half in damage. The deacons did make up the $100k deductable out of pocket.

One of the legacy chller pipes broke on a Friday night. Water damaged 3 levels of mostly renovated space from the original 1990s expansion. The new building wasn't damaged but the gym and senior high areas on the other side of the old space were. I've been told that sensors have been installed to avoid a repeat. Over a million and a half in damage. The deacons did make up the $100k deductable out of pocket.
Ouch! I think it is on the chalkboard for our church to try to bank our deductible and always have that; but we are small and our deductible is still half yours (so very high for us).

I really am probably more pragmatic about it in my local area. Not as far as conviction goes. I have some appreciation for the season outside of the Church Worship. KInda like how I maintain singing Psalms vs man made songs during worship. I have no problem with man written hymns outside of Sabbath Worship. It is a struggle.

I come from a unchurched generation of parents. I have to go back three generations to find anyone who loved Jesus in my family. It has been a struggle to learn and accept things. I remember the first time I read chapter 4 of J. I. Packer's book Knowing God. I hated it and put it down because found it confusing. Images of Christ are forbidden? Surely not. But years later I got it, understand why and love it.

I think it is on the chalkboard for our church to try to bank our deductible
As I understand it reserves got drawn down during the covid related construction delays. There was money that could have been available but would have to have been shifted around. Coupled with some of the deacons wanting to model generous giving to the congegation.

In fairness I ought perhaps to add 2 relevant factors.
1) I fully understand the allure of a church calendar which includes Christmas, Easter, and perhaps oddly to some especially Hallowe’en (Reformation Day). The unifying aspects of Christmas observance across most all Christendom and beyond remain perhaps more pertinent than even the Lord’s Sabbath. Just Christmas music alone spans almost all Christian and secular music categories, with all that entails.
2) A church calendar is not my only religious world-view quirk. There are a range of issues, some of which my particular church support (such as certain imagery objections), and some on which there is a range of congregational view (such as fossil fuel and ecology issues, lapsarian, millennial, and other doctrinal issues, and other cultural & lifestyle issues (don't get me started on tattoos or genetic engineering)). I’m not alone as being one of a few, perhaps several members with theological quirks of diversity. It says something positive that our church and denomination are accepting of diversity w/o overabundant dogmatism, but some things are just wrong (In my humble opinion).

The elders, at least the current ones, never tried to drown me in the gym though. I think those days are mostly over. Mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back