Ought Christians to actively campaign against Easter & those celebrating such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformed grit

Puritan Board Freshman
It's really more a question against celebration of an extra-Biblical calendar apart from a Sabbath. My church and denomination support celebrating Easter, but I am out of step with that. Ought I to continuously raise holy stench over such, or give up the ghost, helping preserve church unity where I'm a minority making waves?

It's really more a question against celebration of an extra-Biblical calendar apart from a Sabbath. My church and denomination support celebrating Easter, but I am out of step with that. Ought I to continuously raise holy stench over such, or give up the ghost, helping preserve church unity where I'm a minority making waves?
What denomination?

You are battling an America that worships their Christmas and Easter man made holidays. It isn't a matter of Romanism any longer. I oppose it but not as one with a sign screaming the end of the earth is at hand. I just try to speak the truth in love understanding that most people have never heard about the Regulative Principle of Worship.

I agree with Chris. Since yours is a denomination which purportedly holds to a confessional standard that is against Christmas and Easter, then you should combat the celebration of them.

The major obstacle, of course, is going to be “good faith subscription,” which I would argue brings into question whether or not the PCA is technically confessional anymore.

You are battling an America that worships their Christmas and Easter man made holidays. It isn't a matter of Romanism any longer. I oppose it but not as one with a sign screaming the end of the earth is at hand. I just try to speak the truth in love understanding that most people have never heard about the Regulative Principle of Worship.
I guess that's the real crux - the odor and strength of holy stench? But I've found "truth in love" or perhaps an over abundance of gentleness has only gotten me notoriety as 'the crazy old goat' who needs coddling around Christmas & Easter.

I can't give details of who and where since they are not mine to share but you don't know what may make a difference, either at once or over time. I recently heard that a PCA church that was in the habit until last year of doing an advent candle ceremony stopped when an intern took the time to point out it was a man-made ceremony and thus will worship. It was thus pretty plainspoken. It convicted the person in charge and it was stopped. The responses to it being stopped only underscored exactly how it was viewed (it made worship more special that time of year, etc.), and that it was the right decision.
I guess that's the real crux - the odor and strength of holy stench? But I've found "truth in love" or perhaps an over abundance of gentleness has only gotten me notoriety as 'the crazy old goat' who needs coddling around Christmas & Easter.

I can't give details of who and where since they are not mine to share but you don't know what may make a difference, either at once or over time. I recently heard that a PCA church that was in the habit until last year of doing an advent candle ceremony stopped when an intern took the time to point out it was a man-made ceremony and thus will worship. It was thus pretty plainspoken. It convicted the person in charge and it was stopped. The responses to it being stopped only underscored exactly how it was viewed (it made worship more special that time of year, etc.), and that it was the right decision.
I love our pastor & elders and realise I'm not to give offense, but we've gone through 3 pastors in the recent past & I keep hoping for support before I die.

Well I personally don't have a problem with it but I respect the view that says its wrong. The problem in America is that with freedom of worship we have freedom of choices. So technically you can go somewhere else. Its not like a state church scenario where you have no choice. Thats the double edged sword of freedom. Not do only do you have freedom but so does everyone else. I say this with all do respect but its hard for people to feel sorry for someone with options.
But that being said, again with all do respect, we should fight for the sanctity of our churches but with wisdom knowing when to fight and when to leave or stay silent. How important is this issue to you? Is it important enough to split a church (not saying that's what you're saying)? I think that self diagnoses is always important in these matters. Is this as bad of a thing as what Machen faced? Only you can answer those questions.

How important is this issue to you?
This isn't really the right question. How important is false worship to God? Given the history and consequences of false worship in Scripture, and given the fact that false worship is practically what the Reformation was all about, I would say it's very important.

And there's the rub - peace & purity. It's very true we each have convictions of each, and that there are both worthy and unworthy ways to champion either. The freedom of choice still says the PCA is the best of local options.
I know Machen was kicked out, though I find it fair to assess that he may have forced the issue. Both peace & purity are very important issues, and we confess we each have failures with each, as well as balancing the two.

I am part of a PCA church that practices the full church calendar (lent, advent, epiphany). They would say they affirm RPW, and the difference is how RPW is actually applied, they wouldn’t see a conflict. What part of the confession would specifically prohibit the church calendar?

I am part of a PCA church that practices the full church calendar (lent, advent, epiphany). They would say they affirm RPW, and the difference is how RPW is actually applied, they wouldn’t see a conflict. What part of the confession would specifically prohibit the church calendar?
You might start with Chapter XXI of the Westminster Confession of Faith.

It is clear from the whole corpus of the Westminster Standards that the old pretended holy days being not commanded but superstitious and idolatrous additions to the worship of God were not to be continued. The general principle, often called now the regulative principle of worship, is stated in WCF 21.1. The only special additional times of public worship are specified in 21.5 (providentially determined times) and it is clear the old pretended holy days cannot find a place to wedge them in there with any honestly by the language of the assembly's directory for worship in the appendix on holy days. As monuments of idolatry per Larger Catechism 108 such things were to be removed.

WCF 21.1
“The acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by himself, and so limited to his own revealed will, that he may not be worshiped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scripture (Exod 20:4-6; Deut 4:15-20; 12:32; Mat 4:9-10; 15:9; Acts 17:25; Col 2:23).”
WCF 21.5
V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear; the sound preaching, and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God with understanding, faith, and reverence; singing of psalms with grace in the heart; as, also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ; are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God: besides religious oaths, and vows, solemn fastings, and thanksgivings upon special occasion; which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.

Westminster Directory for the Public Worship of God

Touching Days and Places for Publick Worship.

THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath.

Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued.

Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for publick fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God's providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people.

Westminster Larger Catechism 108, the duty to remove monuments of idolatry.

Is that to me? I'm the eldest, in an ongoing... mmm... 'battle' of sorts stemming at least 3 PCA churches dating back to the inception of the PCA. Once a 'tradition' is ensconced it too often remains difficult to change. My 1st church was a mission church of the PCUS, where special day celebration had already won its way through the Sunday School. My 1st clash over this with ruling elders was coming home from the PCA's newly won college of the former Reformed Presbyterian Church Evangelical Synod. The ruling elders entertained a query, had me write a paper, then did very little. Next was another mission split from that church where again it was decided not to buck 'tradition'. [ Understand, few American protestants at all celebrated Christmas prior to the War of Northern Aggression.] It's wise for even teaching elders to follow ruling elders at some points. Forward to retirement and the current ongoing challenge. My personal battle has all been in PCA churches, and a couple of times at least with receptive pastoral influence. Folk love their Christmas & Easter, esp. where children and a Sunday School are involved. I at least know change needs to be congregational friendly, though yeah, it would have helped to have denominational support, rather than the denomination turning the other direction.

Last edited:
Sir I see you live about 1 hour south of the FCC church in Snellville GA. Just so you know we in the FCC are openly against such traditions. Here is a link to their sermon audio page:

Last edited:
Sir I see you live about 1 hour south of the FCC church in Snellville GA. Just so you know we in the FCC are openly against such traditions. Here is a link to their sermon audio page:

That's very gracious of you, kind sir. Our family used to own Stone Mountain, but memberly attending a church above I-20 now is a wee out-of-range by another eccentricity of mine - propinquity of fellowship.

That's very gracious of you, kind sir. Our family used to own Stone Mountain, but memberly attending a church above I-20 now is a wee out-of-range by another eccentricity of mine - propinquity of fellowship.
propinquity was a new word for me :), thanks for sharing.

I understand and appreciate your feedback.

The practical reason I dislike "Easter" services is also the major reason that they are beneficial - the room is likely to be packed with folks that don't regularly hear the gospel preached. And no real overflow space this year since the extensive water damage from last fall still hasn't been repaird.

I just have a repeat response and question since you have seemed to have missed my prior post possibly.

"I think Pastor Klein is asking you what your ordained Elders counsel. You are under the authority of a Session aren't you?"
I apologise, I thought I made the crevasse somewhat clear, but perhaps knot. Local PCA ruling elders have maintained a church support of Christmas, Easter, and the like throughout. Though I'd qualify that in general 'conservative' observance in the South is rarely the full-throttle observance one may find elsewhere - unbeknownst to some, it really is a post-war wiggling in from popular culture. We've erred on the side of peace over purity in this matter. My views are known, even allowed preached from the pulpit, but there is no otherwise open challenge from me against ruling elders. The ruling elders are open to instruction, just not yet to 'tradition' change.

This isn't really the right question. How important is false worship to God? Given the history and consequences of false worship in Scripture, and given the fact that false worship is practically what the Reformation was all about, I would say it's very important.
Fair enough and I figured someone would respond this way. For the record I do not endorse false worship to God. Than for false worship of God someone should not go somewhere else but stay and work to change things. If they get booted out than so be it, they stood up against idolatry.
But I meant that given all the options one has, not just leaving. One has to prayfuly consider which option is the best at any given time and that means asking how important this issue is to them?
I would be curious, considering I have my own thoughts on it which are irrelevant to this thread, how have those of you who hold this opinion persuaded others of your position? I saw the post on the WCF, so thats one angle but what about biblical arguments that have been the most useful? It may seem I'm trying to derail the thread but I'm not. It may be of some use to reformed grit (sorry to refer to you in the third person) and anyone else who is struggling with this to read practical examples that were the most affective at this?
And I made my own opinion known so I'm not looking to debate the concept but maybe staying and persuading would easier with practical examples, for anyone in this struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back