Otto Scott books

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I picked up, on the cheap, Otto Scott's James I: The Fool as King and The Secret Six: John Brown and the Abolitionist Movement.

The bio on James 1 is a great read. It reads almost like a novel with penetrating psychological insight from a Calvinistic perspective. The one on John Brown is probably more relevant for today's climate, but is a harder read. Here Scott demonstrates the terror and chaos that a [-]proponent of democracy[/-] demagogue can do in politically volatile situations.

I picked up, on the cheap, Otto Scott's James I: The Fool as King and The Secret Six: John Brown and the Abolitionist Movement.

The bio on James 1 is a great read. It reads almost like a novel with penetrating psychological insight from a Calvinistic perspective. The one on John Brown is probably more relevant for today's climate, but is a harder read. Here Scott demonstrates the terror and chaos that a [-]proponent of democracy[/-] demagogue can do in politically volatile situations.

I'll second the comments on James I - it was a hard book to put down. Definitely gave me reason to wish there were more written from a similar perspective about the whole period from, say, the Magna Charta era to the British Civil War.

"Fool as King" was a compelling and interesting read--to ME (but probably not to certain other people). But be forewarned: Scott uses ZERO primary sources. I'm not questioning his presentation of facts, just be aware that this is not, strictly speaking, a work of scholarship, although it reads like an "unauthorized" biography. I have glanced at the Brown book, however, I have never had the time to read it, nor have I analyzed his bibliography. As a thoroughly American event, obviously the story would be much "closer to home", and easier to interact with primary sources.

By the way, without a doubt, the best history writer I have ever encountered, employing impeccable standards of scholarship, and writing (usually, nobody's perfect) page-turning prose: Barbara Tuchman. Wins the prize going away.

I read "Robespierre: The Fool as Revolutionary" and I enjoyed it very much.
I could not put the book down.

Why do Chalcedon only sell James I: The Fool as King (which is the only one I own), but not any of the rest of the series?

I read "Robespierre: The Fool as Revolutionary" and I enjoyed it very much.
I could not put the book down.

I also enjoyed this book. A punishing critique of the first true modern "revolution", all the unspeakable wickedness done in the name of "virtue". It was fitting that Robespierre was guillotined, and that after a horrible wounding; but that part of me that is stained with a sinful desire for earthly vengeance wishes he could have been made to feel the suffering of the many that he was party to.

Indeed, a special place in hell for all such butchers. And some of them will be disturbed (no doubt) by the company they are keeping for eternity...

Why do Chalcedon only sell James I: The Fool as King (which is the only one I own), but not any of the rest of the series?

I think because that is the only book of the series, which they publish.

CT

I think because that is the only book of the series, which they publish.

CT

Oh right, that would explain it then. Who publishes the other volumes?

I have them both, as well as most of his other works.

My copy of "The Secret Six" was gift from the great man himself and is inscribed.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back