Other Presbyterian works containing Sacramental Meditations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I'm aware of John Williston's and just discovered Daniel Campbell's Sacramental Medititions. Are other Presbyterian or puritan works that contain relatively short (as opposed to sermon length or longer) sets of meditations like this? Searching PRDL only yields these two and Flavel's.

Also please feel free to bookmark that Zotero Public Library. It may come in handy for searching in the future. It is limited because it can only search titles, but I am working on an inner-work index as we speak.

I found these in that list, maybe these are along the lines you are looking for? Dont know though.

Abraham's humble intercession for Sodom, and the Lord's gracious concessions in answer thereunto containing sundry meditations upon Gen. XVIII. from ver. XXIII. to the end of the chapter. Wherein many things are spoken of concerning believers drawing near to God, and the efficacy of their prayers; and how they may be princes and prevailers with God, and with what boldness they may come before him, and what ground they may get of him by their prayers, and what sweet communing they have with him. With sundry other things worthy of our most serious thoughts, helping us to be more spiritual and heavenly, which may prepare us for that everlasting communion and fellowship that we hope to arrive at, and come to in a blessed state of glory by Jesus Christ. By Samuel Whiting, Pastor of the Church of Christ at Lyn in N.E. [Three lines of Scripture texts]
Whiting, Samuel, 1597-1679.

A three-fold treatise containing the saints sure and perpetuall guide. Selfe-enriching examination. Soule-fatting fasting. Or, meditations, concerning the word, the sacrament of the Lords Supper, and fasting. By the labours of that late Reverend, and learned divine, Master Robert Bolton ...

Mensalia sacra, or, Meditations on the Lord's Supper wherein the nature of the holy sacrament is explain'd and the most weighty cases of conscience about it are resolv'd / by the reverend Mr. Francis Crow, late minister of the Gospel at Clare in Suffolk ; to which is prefixt a brief account of the author's life and death.

Monthly preparations for the Holy Communion by R.B. ; to which is added suitable meditations before, in, and after receiving ; with divine hymns in common tunes, fitted for publick congregations or private families. - Richard Baxter

Vasanos alåethinåe, the true touchstone which shews both grace and nature, or, A discourse concerning self examination, by which both saints and sinners may come to know themselves whereunto are added sundry meditations relating to the Lords Supper / by Nathanael Vincent ..

This may be another one in that list; I looked it up and found that some call the sacraments, ordinances.

Israel's lamentation after the Lord, or, A discourse, wherein every well-wisher to Zion is excited, and directed how to lament after the Lord with prayers and tears, to maintain the ordinances of God, or God's presence with his ordinances amongst us being some meditations upon 1 Sam. 7.2. - Heywood, Oliver, 1629-1702.

Thanks, but these are either too treatise-like, catechism-like, or in the instance of the Vincent, too short of meditations (and still has Latin phrases) for what I'm looking for. I'm looking to compile meditations of the nature of Willison's meditations which are preparative for the Lord's supper; the Campbell looks good but slightly too long and only numbering seven. Flavel looks good, but maybe too antique in the puritan divisions of doctrine, etc.

Thomas Halyburton has a series of communion sermons. They are good, but maybe too long. You may be able to use excerpts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back