Original Preface to the Canons of Dort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Wes.

What does it mean that this was the original preface? Was it a first draft that was rejected for a final version?

I don't know if this is the place to ask but it just occurred to me: How did the Netherlands become the seat of continental Reformed theology when it had been in Switzerland less than a century before?

-----Added 1/7/2009 at 10:28:12 EST-----

Incidentally, your username has always amuses me. I know it has a historic Reformed connotation but I can't get some sort of Mafia image out of my mind when I read your username.

Thanks Wes.

What does it mean that this was the original preface? Was it a first draft that was rejected for a final version?

I don't know if this is the place to ask but it just occurred to me: How did the Netherlands become the seat of continental Reformed theology when it had been in Switzerland less than a century before?

-----Added 1/7/2009 at 10:28:12 EST-----

Incidentally, your username has always amuses me. I know it has a historic Reformed connotation but I can't get some sort of Mafia image out of my mind when I read your username.

The Canons of Dort are often published today with some kind of historical introduction. However, the preface that I link above is the introduction that the Synod of Dort actually wrote and approved to go with the Canons.

Your second question is a tough one to answer in a short space, but the answer has a lot to do with William of Orange.

My user name plays off my interest in Guido (or Guy) de Bres -- through my research and dissertation writing, I feel a strong affinity with Guido. But if you want to associate it with Mafia, make sure it's Dutch Mafia -- the guy mentioned in this song fits the bill.

Hi Wes -

Actually you can find the same preface in the wonderful work of Thomas Scott, reprinted by Sprinkle, "The Articles of the Synod of Dort" in pages 241 to 247.

Todd

Get that book - it's got a very nice introductory essay by Samuel Miller prior to Scott's history of the events leading up to the Synod.

-----Added 1/7/2009 at 11:00:28 EST-----

Solid Ground has it for $12.50!

My user name plays off my interest in Guido (or Guy) de Bres -- through my research and dissertation writing, I feel a strong affinity with Guido. But if you want to associate it with Mafia, make sure it's Dutch Mafia -- the guy mentioned in this song fits the bill.

The CRC phone books are called "dial-a-Dutchman" here, and there are constant references to the "Dutch Mafia" in terms of home renovations, fresh flowers, equipment rentals, carpet installation, automotive maintenance, you name it.

Also, in Hamilton, the CanRC high school is called Guido de Bres. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back