Original Manuscript of the Westminster Confession of Faith online

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
For those who didn't know, the one surviving manuscript of the Westminster Confession of Faith is online for a time. The Braye manuscript contains some additional material as well (parts of the Grand Debate, a couple of things relative to church government that I think I confirmed are in v5 of the Van Dixhoorn minutes). It survived because it was taken and kept in a private collection so did not perish in either the Great Fire of 1666, or, what was not burned then the 1834 fire that destroyed Parliament.

Yes; click on the table of contents and the confession is the last entry, and clicking that takes you to the first page.
Great way to learn the 17th century hand btw, since you have the printed text to compare. That's what I did when I transcribed the two surviving versions of the Westminster Larger Catechism.

Great way to learn the 17th century hand btw, since you have the printed text to compare. That's what I did when I transcribed the two surviving versions of the Westminster Larger Catechism.
Indeed. When I read the familiar words of the Confession, the mysterious script, so undecipherable in other places, becomes as plain as Times New Roman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back