Origen and Lull biographies

Status
Not open for further replies.

1689er

Puritan Board Freshman
I am currently in seminary and this semester I have been assigned two biographical papers. I have to write one on a missionary, and the other on any theologian before Luther. I have plant to write on Origen for the theologian paper, and Raymond Lull for the missionary paper. Does anyone know a good biography of either man? I would prefer one around 200 pages. Thanks for the help.

I am currently in seminary and this semester I have been assigned two biographical papers. I have to write one on a missionary, and the other on any theologian before Luther. I have plant to write on Origen for the theologian paper, and Raymond Lull for the missionary paper. Does anyone know a good biography of either man? I would prefer one around 200 pages. Thanks for the help.

Not specifically biographies, but these are recognized critical studies:

Henri de Lubac, History and Spirit.

Francis Yates, The Art of Memory.

And see the relevant sections of John McGuckin's First Thousands Years (or some such title) for good material on Origen.

Another key primary (ish) text on Origen is Gregory Thaumaturge's oration on Origen.

Crouzel, Henri, Origen, T & T Clark

Hanson, R.P.C., Allegory and Event: A Study of the Sources and Signifiance of Origen’s Interpretation of Scripture, WJK

Widdicombe, Peter, The Fatherhood of God from Oprigen to Athanasius, Oxford

Are those available online, or in print? Do you happen to know one for Lull?

Ronald E. Heine, Origen: An Introduction to His Life and Thought 182pp
The Westminster Handbook to Origen (McGuckin, ed.) 272pp
Henri Crouzel, Origen: The Life and Thought of the First Great Theologians 278pp
Ronald E. Heine, Origen: Scholarship in the Service of the Church 288pp
John A. McGuckin, A-Z of Origen 300pp
Joseph W. Trigg, Origen 307pp
Jean Daniélou, Origen 362pp
Hans Ur von Balthasar, Origen: Spirit and Fire 436pp (thematic anthology, not biography)

I have Raymund Lull - First Missionary to the Moslems by Samuel Zwemer. It is a fascinating biography. Raymund Lull (Ramon Lull in Catalan or Raimundo Lulio in Castilian Spanish) is considered the father of the Catalan language; all of the children learn about him in school in Catalunya (the region around Barcelona). His Book of the Order of Chivalry is perhaps the most complete medieval description of the characteristics of the Christian knight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back