Ordination defies ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Posted on Sat, Nov. 19, 2005

Ordination defies ban

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. - A Presbyterian church has ordained a gay man who refuses to commit to remaining celibate despite the denomination's ban on sexually active homosexual ministers.

A complaint over the action is likely to be filed with a regional panel in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), which is among several Protestant denominations embroiled in a bitter debate over what role gays should have in their churches.

Raymond Bagnuolo of White Plains was ordained Sunday at South Presbyterian Church and is serving as pastor of Palisades Presbyterian Church. During the ceremony, when asked whether he would abide by the church's constitution, Bagnuolo said yes, except for a measure that says ministers must practice fidelity if married and chastity if single.

The prohibition has split the denomination, with some churches moving ahead with ordaining gays and other, more traditional churches demanding those congregations be disciplined. The policy will be a focus of a national Presbyterian assembly in June.

The Rev. Jerry Van Marter, a spokesman for the national church, said the ordination, "raises the heat." he said. "This will just heighten the intensity of the debate."

I don't understand why homosexuals or those who practice sexual sin seek to be attached to something that condemns their actions. It would be like an open criminal trying to find security in joining a good police department.
As far as the analogy goes.
Maybe they are trying to corrupt the Police department but the problem is that the Police department's Chief is uncorruptable. But I must admit that some of the precints have gone wayward

A mainline presbyterian pastor came home from the general assembly, staggered in the door, jet lag showing, and collapsed in an armchair. His wife gave him a kiss, and brought him a cup of tea. "How did the meeting go, dear?"

"Not to good, hon. Things are not looking good for the denomination. On Friday, the assembly voted to make Mary co-redemptrix. On Saturday they voted to create a "book of bibles" (to go along with our book of confessions) that includes the "Torah", 6 "gospels", 6 "authentic" letters of Paul, the Bagvagita and the Koran. On Sunday we were led in worship of Buda-rama-Christ-nas by a gay couple of reverends. And Monday, they voted for a resolution to rehabilitate Satan."

Replied his wife, "Oh dear, that's awful! What are you going to do?"

"I'm not sure," he said. "But if things get any worse, I am out of there!"

(I first heard this spiel from an Anglican source, and the denomination was the Epicopalians.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back