Opinions of Thomas Cranmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

John P

Puritan Board Freshman
Would you guys consider Thomas Cranmer to be reformed? Do you consider him to be a good theologian?
I personally would answer yes to both questions, but I haven't extensively read him.

I would consider Cranmer, but then I am only here by the kind indulgence of the Presbyterians, and Reformed Baptists to whom the board belongs.

Thomas Cranmer was a godly reformer and martyr, but he was deeply erroneous in some of his beliefs and views. I would not consider him Reformed in the traditional, confessional sense of the word. The Archbishop was reforming and reformed to a certain degree at the time of his martyrdom. This is all written according to my limited understanding.

Edit: See my next reply.

Last edited:
Thomas Cranmer was a godly reformer and martyr, but he was deeply erroneous in some of his beliefs and views. I would not consider him Reformed in the traditional, confessional sense of the word. The Archbishop was reforming and reformed to a certain degree at the time of his martyrdom. This is all written according to my limited understanding.
What is he erroneous about? I would hardly call him non-confessional, considering he basically wrote a book of common prayer with Matthew Parker.

Thomas Cranmer's role in authoring the Book of Common Prayer as has been mentioned by John and Jacob.

Thomas Cranmer wrote, or caused to be written, a Reformed Confession the Church of England, the Forty-Two Articles. They were never implemented due to the death of King Edward VI. They did become the basis of the Thirty-Nine Articles, under Archbishop Matthew Parker.

Thomas Cranmer invited Peter Martyr Vermigli to England to assist in reforming the Church of England.

For these three reasons Cranmer should be considered a reformer, and Reformed.

What is he erroneous about? I would hardly call him non-confessional, considering he basically wrote a book of common prayer with Matthew Parker.

For these three reasons Cranmer should be considered a reformer, and Reformed.

Forgive me for my hastiness and lack of thought in my reply.

I recant my previous statements. I was following an errant path of thought in over-reaction to certain theological difficulties I have had lately. Before then, I believed Thomas Cranmer to be Reformed, and now I do so again.

I meant "confessional" as in relation to such confessions as the Westminster, Belgic, &c.

I have been interested in Anglicanism for some time now, and I would be very grateful if I could discuss the subject with any of our PB Anglicans.

Witty.

I would consider Cranmer to be reformed personally due to his strict stances on the 5 solae and his strong fervor for the Scriptures and salvation by grace through faith alone. But that's just me. In a world where reformed means everything from Cornelius Van Til to John Calvin and John MacArthur I guess it's difficult to say what exactly constitutes as reformed.

Forgive me for my hastiness and lack of thought in my reply.

I recant my previous statements. I was following an errant path of thought in over-reaction to certain theological difficulties I have had lately. Before then, I believed Thomas Cranmer to be Reformed, and now I do so again.

I meant "confessional" as in relation to such confessions as the Westminster, Belgic, &c.

You're fine. Questions mean thought. If we study the bible and never change our views on anything (even if for a season in erroneous thought) then we are probably reading the bible wrong.

I have been interested in Anglicanism for some time now, and I would be very grateful if I could discuss the subject with any of our PB Anglicans.

I'm Anglican for all intents and purposes. What do you want to know?

I would consider Cranmer to be reformed personally due to his strict stances on the 5 solae and his strong fervor for the Scriptures and salvation by grace through faith alone. But that's just me. In a world where reformed means everything from Cornelius Van Til to John Calvin and John MacArthur I guess it's difficult to say what exactly constitutes as reformed.

I would argue that the Five Solas distinguish one as a Protestant; but not Reformed. Luther affirmed them and he certainly wasn't Reformed. I believe what distinguishes one as Reformed is affirming the Doctrines of Grace; the Regulative Principle of Worship; the normative role of the Law; and further the Lord's Day as the Christian Sabbath. It isn't clear to me how anyone not affirming these things could claim to be Reformed in any historical sense. Calvinistic? Sure. Reformed? No.

In Germany the issue that is used to define whether one is Reformed or Lutheran is your view of the Lord's Supper.
Cranmer brought Peter Martyr Vermigli over to assist in the reformation of England. When Cranmer came to share Vermigli's understanding of the presence of our Lord in the Lord's Supper is not clear to me. Cranmer and the Church of England came to this reformed understanding of the Lord's Supper. From that point on I would call them Reformed.

After reading this thread, I ran across this in my reading -

"This house, which is a very ancient one, was, they say, the birthplace of Ann de Boleyne, the mother of Queen Elizabeth. Not much matter; for she married the king while his real wife was alive. I could have excused her, if there had been no marrying in the case; but, hypocrisy, always bad, becomes detestable when it resorts to religious ceremony as its mask. She, no more than Cranmer, seems, to her last moments, to have remembered her sins against her lawful queen. Foxe's Book of Martyrs, that ought to be called the Book of Liars, says that Cranmer, the recanter and re-recanter, held out his offending hand in the flames, and cried out, 'that hand, that hand!' If he had cried out Catherine! Catherine! I should have thought better of him; but, it is clear, that the whole story is a lie, invented by the protestants, and particularly by the sectarians, to white-wash the character of this perfidious hypocrite and double apostate, who, if bigotry had something to do in bringing him to the stake, certainly deserved his fate, if any offences committed by man can deserve so horrible a punishment." - William Cobbett (1762-1835), English writer and political and economic activist, from a journal entry for Thursday, December 13, 1821, published in his Rural Rides (1830)

Although Cobbett himself was not a Roman Catholic, he favored Catholic emancipation in England in the 19th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back