Open Letter to Fans of Christian Hip Hop Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
No, I did not write the letter, but I do find it pretty interesting. It's from Joel Taylor's blog 5 Point Salt. A little background - the post that started the whole discussion is found here. You may want to read that post and watch the video first. The letter is found here but I have also copied it below:

“What’s wrong with that?”

People have often asked the question, “What’s wrong with ______ ?”

You fill in the blank.

What’s really being asked is, “How much like the world can I live and behave, and still go to heaven?”

Recently, I posted on a video called “Hip-Hop For Haiti” and, apparently, I’ve taken what seems an unpopular position, and have now been labeled (by at least one) as a “quite foolish Pharisee.” Water off a ducks back.

Since this is obviously a sensitive issue for so many, and resulted in quite a few comments, I’d like to respond en masse, so to speak. It seems that the majority of you insist the concert/video in question was ‘entertainment’, and not worship.

Honest question. When one sings about Jesus Christ, regardless of ’style’, regardless of location, is that worship or entertainment? If a professing Christian can sing about Christ, and call it ‘entertainment’ and not worship, something is terribly wrong. Someone said to me recently that “adding Jesus-speak’ to music does not sanctify it.”

I believe that’s true.

From the beginning of Scripture and the creation account, the idea of separation is introduced and taught throughout Scripture, from Genesis to Revelation.

So to all you Christian hip-hop fans, can you honestly say – before God – that you can ’sing’ about the Lord of Glory and not call it worship? It seems to me that if you can sing/rap/recite anything about Jesus Christ, and insist it is only ‘entertainment’ then what does that say about your true view of God and of yourself?

In all sincerity, Jesus Christ did not die on the cross for your entertainment, and if we have a proper view of the value of a soul and what it cost Him to redeem, we should think long and hard about how we present Him to the world.

Also, before I forget, you do not have the right to determine how God is worshiped, you never did. There are too many examples in Scripture that prove that.

Yes, I watched the entire video, twice. You’re comments to the post were helpful in assisting me to understand your own objections. Allow me to give you a few of mine:

I object that there was prayer, and you called it entertainment, not worship.
I object to the singing of the hymn “It Is Well With My Soul”, and you calling it entertainment, not worship.
I object to public reading of the Scriptures and calling it ‘entertainment’.
I object that at the beginning of a song, one singer called out “There’s none like You, Jesus we pray that the church in America would stand with the church in Haiti” and many of you who left sarcastic, insulting comments insist that is just entertainment, not worship. If that was only ‘entertainment’, then it was a blasphemous prayer.
I object to using worldly attractions like thug music –and that is exactly what it is – to proclaim the Gospel. If you convince worldly people to join the visible church, you will have to use worldly means to keep them there….and without regeneration, they will still be lost and go to hell.
I object to being asked, by implication, to submit to the hip-hop views of Washer, Piper and R.C. Sproul. I will not. Get over it.
Let me ask you, if singing about Jesus is just ‘entertainment’, and that’s your reasoning for enjoying music derived from a controversial history- namely, street violence, sex, drugs and defiance of Law enforcement – then, is it really well with your soul? If you walk around with ‘pants on the ground’ and hat-turned-sideways’ – how will the world see that you’ve been transformed when you are acting just like them…and enjoying it? Of course, that begs the question, have you actually been transformed by the regenerating work of the Spirit of God? Or have you been drawn into the visible church by worldly means? If so, you are yet in danger of eternal condemnation.

Maybe it’s just me, but I smell compromise.

While Taylor does come across pretty harshly, for the most part I think I agree with his point. What say you PBers?

I understand his reasoning, but it's difficult to know how to handle a musical style as it concerns the style itself. Is the origin of the style inherent in its nature, or not? It's hard to say, but I have a hard time thinking this sort of thing is bad:

[video=youtube;7RUciHVpCbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw[/video]
[video=youtube;M-XgLSGRzaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-XgLSGRzaM&feature=related[/video]

Edit: I should add that I'm not really a "fan of Christian hip hop music," at least very much. I mostly listen to classical music and psalms, with a little blues or jazz thrown in here and there. But I still question whether it is the style or primarily the lyrical content that makes "thug music," thug music.

Austin, unfortunately I'm not at home, so the computer I'm on blocks video so I will have to comment on what you shared later. However, as to the question of the musical style, I think there is no question that the style of rap music originated out of a movement completely contrary to scripture. For me the question is more along the lines of - okay, hip-hop stands for just about everything unholy. Can it be redeemed for God's glory? Maybe even a better question is should it be redeemed for God's glory? So much of what hip-hop stands for is wicked, so is this something that the church should separate from instead of trying to redeem?

One thing I would like to add to lend some perspective on where I'm coming from is that my background before Christ and even early on as a Christian, was that I was a HUGE hip-hop fan. I loved the music, the artists, the culture, etc. When Christ redeemed me, I knew that everything hip-hop stood for was contrary to what God wanted me to live for, so I dumped it. Now when I see Christian hip-hop artists, I have a hard time buying into the music because it reminds me so much of the godless rap I used to love. I feel kinda like the former alcoholic who doesn't even want to drink after he's saved.

Austin, unfortunately I'm not at home, so the computer I'm on blocks video so I will have to comment on what you shared later. However, as to the question of the musical style, I think there is no question that the style of rap music originated out of a movement completely contrary to scripture. For me the question is more along the lines of - okay, hip-hop stands for just about everything unholy. Can it be redeemed for God's glory? Maybe even a better question is should it be redeemed for God's glory? So much of what hip-hop stands for is wicked, so is this something that the church should separate from instead of trying to redeem?

One thing I would like to add to lend some perspective on where I'm coming from is that my background before Christ and even early on as a Christian, was that I was a HUGE hip-hop fan. I loved the music, the artists, the culture, etc. When Christ redeemed me, I knew that everything hip-hop stood for was contrary to what God wanted me to live for, so I dumped it. Now when I Christian hip-hop artists, I have a hard time buying into the music because it reminds me so much of the godless rap I used to love. I feel kinda like the former alcoholic who doesn't want to drink even after he's saved.

That makes perfect sense to me. I still have questions about the logic, though. Let me ask you this: What if you discovered tomorrow that the flute was invented by Gnostics for some bizarre Gnostic fertility ritual? Would you appreciate flute music any less? Admittedly we are talking about two different things, but that's the sort of question that needs to be asked about hip hop. What is inherent in the style, and what isn't? Maybe the godlessness is inherent in it - I'm open to that possibility. However, it is unwise to make a rule about it when one is not certain.

I object to being asked, by implication, to submit to the hip-hop views of Washer, Piper and R.C. Sproul. I will not. Get over it.

For a long while, I thought that since Washer and Piper say that it's right, it must be right. Then I saw Washer's video on worshipping these "reformed celebrity preachers", and realized that they might be wrong afterall.

I object to using worldly attractions like thug music –and that is exactly what it is – to proclaim the Gospel. If you convince worldly people to join the visible church, you will have to use worldly means to keep them there….and without regeneration, they will still be lost and go to hell.

What is 'thug music' ? What makes it 'thug music' ?

I understand his reasoning, but it's difficult to know how to handle a musical style as it concerns the style itself. Is the origin of the style inherent in its nature, or not? It's hard to say, but I have a hard time thinking this sort of thing is bad:

Edit: I should add that I'm not really a "fan of Christian hip hop music," at least very much. I mostly listen to classical music and psalms, with a little blues or jazz thrown in here and there. But I still question whether it is the style or primarily the lyrical content that makes "thug music," thug music.

Austin, when I first heard of the whole Reformed Rap thing, I didn't know what to think. I was taken aback, to say the least. Having said that, since you referenced the videos of Shai Linne, some people have said (including Todd Friel) that there is more theology packed into his rhymes and raps in one song than in an entire contemporary Christian music album. From what I have heard of Shai Linne's music, it doesn't sound all that "gangsta" or "thug"-like.

(Sorry I had to exclude your YouTube links to those vids. I didn't want to choke the Board.)

[video=youtube;7RUciHVpCbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw[/video]
[video=youtube;M-XgLSGRzaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-XgLSGRzaM&feature=related[/video]

I agree with my brother Austin on this and add that the message if Christian and praising God than as a Reformed Protestant I would say it can glorify God if done with that intent.

Austin, when I first heard of the whole Reformed Rap thing, I didn't know what to think. I was taken aback, to say the least. Having said that, since you referenced the videos of Shai Linne, some people have said (including Todd Friel) that there is more theology packed into his rhymes and raps in one song than in an entire contemporary Christian music album. From what I have heard of Shai Linne's music, it doesn't sound all that "gangsta" or "thug"-like.

(Sorry I had to exclude your YouTube links to those vids. I didn't want to choke the Board.)

If anything, that just shows the shallowness of so-called "contemporary Christian music".

And for that matter, there's more theology and doctrine in one Shai Linne song than in a year's worth of Sunday School at most American churches. :eek: That's right; I said it.

What is 'thug music' ? What makes it 'thug music' ?

You are quoting the writer of the letter, so obviously I can't know his defition, but for myself "thug music" is music made by thugs encouraging thuggish behavior. This is exactly what wordly rap is/does. Wordly hip-hop loves violence, womanizing, lawlessness, money, and self. The Christian men who perform their version of hip-hop do not live this lifestyle (hopefully), nor encourage it, so I would not say the Christian artists are thugs.

And for that matter, there's more theology and doctrine in one Shai Linne song than in a year's worth of Sunday School at most American churches. :eek: That's right; I said it.

No kidding. The church I went to as a kid would have been markedly better if the only thing done was to play Shai Linne songs. The kids would have been much better fed listening to this than to any of their sunday school teachers for bible lessons and Christian teaching. Now it was a mainline church with plenty of liberalism, but I'd suspect many broad evangelical churches would have some of the same deficiencies.

This is issue is the same issue that was addressed in the "rock music" threads. A genre is a genre. We cannot broad brush any musical style and deem it "sinful". If you do not like Christian hip-hop, don't listen to it. If it brings you back to a bad time in your life, avoid it, but do not condemn others for enjoying it. There are some who have struggled with alcoholism and so they respond by being prohibitionists--that's fine, but they shouldn't condemn those for drinking in moderation.

Let's be reminded of Romans 14 brothers..

Let me ask you this: What if you discovered tomorrow that the flute was invented by Gnostics for some bizarre Gnostic fertility ritual? Would you appreciate flute music any less?

If I found out that the flute were invented by God-haters for the purpose of hating God, then yes, I would unapolegetically appreciate flute music less than I do now! I assume you were thinking that I would say no, but this is precisely my point. Using your example, the flute was invented and originally used solely to the detriment of God's glory, so why would I want to have anything to do with it? Some people would say, "well if God give you good flute playing talents, you should use 'em to His glory!" but I would argue why would a person even study the flute to begin with? Why would a Christian desire to nurture flutist abilities in this case?

This is issue is the same issue that was addressed in the "rock music" threads. A genre is a genre. We cannot broad brush any musical style and deem it "sinful". If you do not like Christian hip-hop, don't listen to it. If it brings you back to a bad time in your life, avoid it, but do not condemn others for enjoying it. There are some who have struggled with alcoholism and so they respond by being prohibitionists--that's fine, but they shouldn't condemn those for drinking in moderation.

Let's not make it seem as if we came to any sort of a conclusion regarding worldliness in those threads. This is only one side of the argument. Here's the link.

No kidding. The church I went to as a kid would have been markedly better if the only thing done was to play Shai Linne songs. The kids would have been much better fed listening to this than to any of their sunday school teachers for bible lessons and Christian teaching. Now it was a mainline church with plenty of liberalism, but I'd suspect many broad evangelical churches would have some of the same deficiencies.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Don't feel bad, though. I don't think that neither you nor I are alone in these thoughts. I think it underscores just how horribly deficient our "Christian" youth are educated on extremely important Scriptural matters - right down to the home.

Let's not make it seem as if we came to any sort of a conclusion regarding worldliness in those threads. This is only one side of the argument. Here's the link.

Thanks for the link Jason. I didn't mean to make it seem like there was any "winning" conclusions but that this issue has already been discussed at length in the other threads...

[video=youtube;GkAoc0eAUNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkAoc0eAUNM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkAoc0eAUNM[/video]

Todd Friel's comments at :37-:40 are quite telling.

Let me ask you this: What if you discovered tomorrow that the flute was invented by Gnostics for some bizarre Gnostic fertility ritual? Would you appreciate flute music any less?

If I found out that the flute were invented by God-haters for the purpose of hating God, then yes, I would unapolegetically appreciate flute music less than I do now! I assume you were thinking that I would say no, but this is precisely my point. Using your example, the flute was invented and originally used solely to the detriment of God's glory, so why would I want to have anything to do with it? Some people would say, "well if God give you good flute playing talents, you should use 'em to His glory!" but I would argue why would a person even study the flute to begin with? Why would a Christian desire to nurture flutist abilities in this case?

Umm. Doesn't that pretty much exclude every instrument invented by/played by an unbeliever?

In one area of the jungle here, they used a flute for animistic worship. Even now, when they stub their toe, they shout "flute" (or "water spirit") as a curse word. In church services, they do not play a flute nor ever have, but they use the guitar freely.

Umm. Doesn't that pretty much exclude every instrument invented by/played by an unbeliever?

And therein lies the fatal flaw in that argument.

If we really want to go consistent with that argument, Andrew, your voice wasn't always used for the glory of God and for worship, so why would you now say that your voice and words were being used for that purpose now, since originally, they weren't ?

:)

I definitely see your point, and I can concede that my argument may have some flaws in it. However, I don't think my voice and hip-hop are on equal ground. Man, including his voice, was originally created to glorify God. I struggle with seeing hip hop as bringing glory to God in it's beginnings. It's so much associated with wickedness that I don't see why we want to redeem it, but I guess this is ultimately just my personal feeling. I think I would best explain it along the lines of the example Perg shared. The flute in that culture represents wickedness and is contrary to God, therefore the church doesn't want anything to do with it.

The flute, however, is not evil and as the church matures hopefully they will bring even this under the saving power of the Gospel. But they must mature first.

The flute, however, is not evil and as the church matures hopefully they will bring even this under the saving power of the Gospel. But they must mature first.

I understand this. I was just associating my view of hip-hop with their view of the flute. Perhaps I can mature past my association of hip hop with the love of the world.

Well, I'm glad you're consistent with your position, but probably most who object to Christian rap would be willing to concede that a flute is just a hollow stick that makes pitches when one blows air through it, and it can be used to make music glorifying to God or otherwise, regardless of who first punched holes in a hollow reed and blew air through it (I believe it was really some clever chap in Genesis, but you get the point).

I will be fair and admit that a genre of music is far more complex than a simple instrument. It may be that rap is unredeemable because of its context, but I suspect not. I am willing to hear otherwise, though.

I definitely see your point, and I can concede that my argument may have some flaws in it. However, I don't think my voice and hip-hop are on equal ground. Man, including his voice, was originally created to glorify God. I struggle with seeing hip hop as bringing glory to God in it's beginnings.

The issue of Christian hip hop (and hip hop as a culture and not just a genre) is a bit complex. For the sake of this discussion, simply focus on hip hop as a genre (my approach) of music primarily.

I would agree with you that man, including his voice and all the rest that he is, was originally created to glorify God. Therefore, everything - including the music he creates, was supposed to be done for the purpose of glorifying God. Hip hop, when approached from this angle (as a genre of music), is no different from any other genre of music. Men idolize classical and use it to spout profane and sinful things....just like they do any other genre of music. It's what human beings do since the fall.

It's so much associated with wickedness that I don't see why we want to redeem it
2 Corinthians 10:5.

I wish I could pull up the old thread at Sharper Iron where shai linne chimed in on this very issue when a bunch of them got in a tizzy over Voice (Curtis Allen) performing at Piper's church. shai made some great points that would answer much of the objections that folks have made (in the original post and in this thread).

My take:
The primary issue with this topic continues to be a lack (severe lack) of graciousness by those who call themselves reformed when approaching this issue. Many, frankly speaking, make ignorant and downright foolish statements before even giving a listen because they already think they know what they are going to hear. Some attempt to twist a personal preference for one particular musical genre into a biblical mandate (I've heard Phil. 4:8's whatever is noble, lovely, etc....MISused to say that hip hop as a genre isn't lovely....etc....), but these same type of people have no category for things like shai's exposition of Romans 3:12-23 (Justified off of his album The Solus Christus Project) or his overview of the Book of Romans (Gospel Music on the 13 Letters Compilation CD by the 116 Clique) other than "that type of music is worldly and has a worldly feel to it" without defining what 'worldly' is (and assuming it is simply anything outside of what *I* think Christian music should sound like).

I can understand why people have that reaction to secular hip hop, as the great bulk of it is filthy and spends time talking about nothing of eternal value. But truth be told (and I say this as someone who listens to everything from Pete Seeger to Aerosmith to AC/DC to Ray Charles to Michael Jackson to Mozart, Mussorgsky, Bach, Rimsy-Korsakov.....etc...)....so do most other genres. They just do so sometimes in more or less explicit terms.

Cases in Point:

Pick your poison on underage girls:

[video=youtube;hn0ZJHVH17I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0ZJHVH17I[/video]

[video=youtube;WUPBUb4yZUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUPBUb4yZUw[/video]
Fornication:
[video=youtube;crFQpOCDfEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFQpOCDfEc[/video]
[video=youtube;lqpp7FuIYYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpp7FuIYYk[/video]

Or drug use:
[video=youtube;33nTnawq6jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk[/video]
[video=youtube;obxfuFrUTzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg[/video]

Painting hip hop as being 'worse' than other genres in this area and therefore 'unredeemable' is nothing more than cultural snobbery. Examples can be drawn from virtually every genre of music (obviously, except gospel, traditional hymns and p&w).

What makes the Getty's "In Christ Alone" Christian versus Phil Collins' "Groovy Kind of Love" ? The content (lyrics) and the purpose (to glorify God). The musical style (genre) is identical (both can be considered soft rock). With that in mind, the focus needs to be on the content, not the instrumental arrangement of the music.

I fully understand that some people don't like the 'boom-bap' sound. That's cool. You're not required to. At the same time, don't put it down as something its' not just because you don't like it and think it is 'less Christian'.

but I guess this is ultimately just my personal feeling.
I understand. :) Romans 14.

Did God not take circumcision from the heathen and then use it to further His redemptive plans?
tell me how in the world is this sinful?

[video=youtube;6RZZOiSTQ9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RZZOiSTQ9Y[/video]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RZZOiSTQ9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RZZOiSTQ9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I definitely see your point, and I can concede that my argument may have some flaws in it. However, I don't think my voice and hip-hop are on equal ground. Man, including his voice, was originally created to glorify God. I struggle with seeing hip hop as bringing glory to God in it's beginnings.

The issue of Christian hip hop (and hip hop as a culture and not just a genre) is a bit complex. For the sake of this discussion, simply focus on hip hop as a genre (my approach) of music primarily.

I would agree with you that man, including his voice and all the rest that he is, was originally created to glorify God. Therefore, everything - including the music he creates, was supposed to be done for the purpose of glorifying God. Hip hop, when approached from this angle (as a genre of music), is no different from any other genre of music. Men idolize classical and use it to spout profane and sinful things....just like they do any other genre of music. It's what human beings do since the fall.

It's so much associated with wickedness that I don't see why we want to redeem it
2 Corinthians 10:5.

I wish I could pull up the old thread at Sharper Iron where shai linne chimed in on this very issue when a bunch of them got in a tizzy over Voice (Curtis Allen) performing at Piper's church. shai made some great points that would answer much of the objections that folks have made (in the original post and in this thread).

My take:
The primary issue with this topic continues to be a lack (severe lack) of graciousness by those who call themselves reformed when approaching this issue. Many, frankly speaking, make ignorant and downright foolish statements before even giving a listen because they already think they know what they are going to hear. Some attempt to twist a personal preference for one particular musical genre into a biblical mandate (I've heard Phil. 4:8's whatever is noble, lovely, etc....MISused to say that hip hop as a genre isn't lovely....etc....), but these same type of people have no category for things like shai's exposition of Romans 3:12-23 (Justified off of his album The Solus Christus Project) or his overview of the Book of Romans (Gospel Music on the 13 Letters Compilation CD by the 116 Clique) other than "that type of music is worldly and has a worldly feel to it" without defining what 'worldly' is (and assuming it is simply anything outside of what *I* think Christian music should sound like).

I can understand why people have that reaction to secular hip hop, as the great bulk of it is filthy and spends time talking about nothing of eternal value. But truth be told (and I say this as someone who listens to everything from Pete Seeger to Aerosmith to AC/DC to Ray Charles to Michael Jackson to Mozart, Mussorgsky, Bach, Rimsy-Korsakov.....etc...)....so do most other genres. They just do so sometimes in more or less explicit terms.

Cases in Point:

Pick your poison on underage girls:

[video=youtube;hn0ZJHVH17I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0ZJHVH17I[/video]

[video=youtube;WUPBUb4yZUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUPBUb4yZUw[/video]
Fornication:
[video=youtube;crFQpOCDfEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFQpOCDfEc[/video]
[video=youtube;lqpp7FuIYYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpp7FuIYYk[/video]

Or drug use:
[video=youtube;33nTnawq6jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk[/video]
[video=youtube;obxfuFrUTzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg[/video]

Painting hip hop as being 'worse' than other genres in this area and therefore 'unredeemable' is nothing more than cultural snobbery. Examples can be drawn from virtually every genre of music (obviously, except gospel, traditional hymns and p&w).

What makes the Getty's "In Christ Alone" Christian versus Phil Collins' "Groovy Kind of Love" ? The content (lyrics) and the purpose (to glorify God). The musical style (genre) is identical (both can be considered soft rock). With that in mind, the focus needs to be on the content, not the instrumental arrangement of the music.

I fully understand that some people don't like the 'boom-bap' sound. That's cool. You're not required to. At the same time, don't put it down as something its' not just because you don't like it and think it is 'less Christian'.

but I guess this is ultimately just my personal feeling.
I understand. :) Romans 14.

Wish there were a double thanks button.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back