OPC position on lay readings and prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly every OPC church I've ever attended had a strange interpretation of psalms as prayers. It seemed to be one of the primary reasons for allowing any type of "theologically sound" songs in worship. I'd add that while it is a debated issue responsives/recitals rarely seem thought out when asked about its practice.

I am a member of an OPC church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strange. Yeah, my pastor prays his own prayers he doesn't use the Psalms. Which responsives? Do you mean the unison prayer of confession?

Nearly every OPC church I've ever attended had a strange interpretation of psalms as prayers

This is a common theme among OPC ministers and elders that I have ran across. Some have even suggested that the hymns they sing are also prayers to God.

As a side: these arguments have been used against those who are EP, which I'm quite disappointed they used them. The arguments aren't sound and they are quite embarrassing (in my opinion).

Strange. Yeah, my pastor prays his own prayers he doesn't use the Psalms. Which responsives? Do you mean the unison prayer of confession?

Responsive Scripture readings and even responsive calls to worship are not uncommon in the OPC churches I've been in.

Even beyond the DPW, WLC 156 should make it quite clear that lay readings are not acceptable.

Q. 156. Is the Word of God to be read by all?

A. Although all are not to be permitted to read the Word publicly to the congregation, yet all sorts of people are bound to read it apart by themselves,and with their families:to which end, the holy scriptures are to be translated out of the original into vulgar languages.

Compare with the original Directory for The Publick Worship of God, which, while certainly not constitutional today, helps us understand the intent of the catechism:

READING of the word in the congregation, being part of the publick worship of God, (wherein .i.we; acknowledge our dependence upon him, and subjection to him,) and one mean sanctified by him for the edifying of his people, is to be performed by the pastors and teachers.

Howbeit, such as intend the ministry, may occasionally both read the word, and exercise their gift in preaching in the congregation, if allowed by the presbytery thereunto.

Responsive Scripture readings and even responsive calls to worship are not uncommon in the OPC churches I've been in.

Even beyond the DPW, WLC 156 should make it quite clear that lay readings are not acceptable.

Compare with the original Directory for The Publick Worship of God, which, while certainly not constitutional today, helps us understand the intent of the catechism:
We don't do responsive scripture reading at the OPC I'm a member of. I have no idea what responsive call even is.....sounds pentacostal lol

We don't do responsive scripture reading at the OPC I'm a member of. I have no idea what responsive call even is.....sounds pentacostal lol

It's very popular. It's basically selecting some Scripture text, sometimes a Psalm portion about assembling, alternating lines between what the minister/RE reads and then what the congregation is expected to read aloud until the passage ends.

In my view, it isn't only unwarranted but unhelpful in having a better dialogical principle at play.

It's very popular. It's basically selecting some Scripture text, sometimes a Psalm portion about assembling, alternating lines between what the minister/RE reads and then what the congregation is expected to read aloud until the passage ends.

In my view, it isn't only unwarranted but unhelpful in having a better dialogical principle at play.

Ohhhh ok. My pastor went to China for awhile so we had other pastors from other OPCs in to preach and one of them did that.

This is a common theme among OPC ministers and elders that I have ran across. Some have even suggested that the hymns they sing are also prayers to God.

As a side: these arguments have been used against those who are EP, which I'm quite disappointed they used them. The arguments aren't sound and they are quite embarrassing (in my opinion).

Yes, that conflation is what I had in mind. I just didn't want to derail the thread with the EP buzzword. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back