Only Christ! Only Christ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Exodus 32:
Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin—; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.​

Moses' meek, mediating, & pastoral heart shows with greatness here, but the best of intentions do not rise to the level of perfection God requires for communion with Him. Only Christ! Only Christ could be a perfect Mediator between God and man. Sinless perfection required, combined with God's infinite wrath against sin to be satisfied. Only Christ! Only Christ! Meditate upon these divine ideas, well-expressed in Westminster Larger Catechism. Massage them in your heart, taking up Biblical truth by faith, and be driven to adoration of our great God, King, Elder Brother, and Mediator Jesus Christ! Fit your heart for worship, thinking of His mercies & grace. Be entreated to His offers of forgiveness and deliverance from sin. Oh, be wholly and holily moved by these wondrous, glorious, and unsearchable things!

Q. 38. Why was it requisite that the Mediator should be God?​
A. It was requisite that the Mediator should be God, that he might sustain and keep the human nature from sinking under the infinite wrath of God, and the power of death; give worth and efficacy to his sufferings, obedience and intercession; and to satisfy God’s justice, procure his favor, purchase a peculiar people, give his Spirit to them, conquer all their enemies, and bring them to everlasting salvation.​
Acts 2:24-25; Rom. 1:4; Rom. 4:25; Heb. 9:14; Acts 20:28; Heb. 9:14; Heb. 7:25-28; Rom. 3:24-26; Eph. 1:6; Matt. 3:17; Titus 2:13-14; Gal. 4:6; Luke 1:68-69, 71, 74; Heb. 5:8-9; Heb. 9:11-15.​
Q. 39. Why was it requisite that the Mediator should be man?​
A. It was requisite that the Mediator should be man, that he might advance our nature, perform obedience to the law, suffer and make intercession for us in our nature, have a fellow-feeling of our infirmities; that we might receive the adoption of sons, and have comfort and access with boldness unto the throne of grace.​
Heb. 2:16; Gal. 4:4; Heb. 2:14; Heb. 7:24-25; Heb. 4:15; Gal. 4:5; Heb. 4:16.​

Q. 40. Why was it requisite that the Mediator should be God and man in one person?
A. It was requisite that the Mediator, who was to reconcile God and man, should himself be both God and man, and this in one person, that the proper works of each nature might be accepted of God for us, and relied on by us, as the works of the whole person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back