Online Basic Church History/Historical Theology Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
Any recommendations for some basic overviews of Church History and/or Historical theology from the ECF period to now that can be found online (if such exist?)? I realize it's a broad question; I'm trying to find some online resources for a (Christian) friend, who would need to start with the basics of basics (including how to evaluate such history).

Thanks all! For reference, some of the links from the first few replies are broken, and so only mp3s are available (unless one registers through Covenant). And I know Schaff is good and all, and I was going to direct this person to there eventually (or something similar, like Cunningham or Wylie, depending on my friend's interests), but I think he might be a bit overwhelming for someone doing this for the first time?

There is a dynamic tension either way. Any popular survey of church history (and this is even worse on history of doctrine) is going to be highly selective (and sometimes plain wrong) while being readable. Schaff is no more time-consuming than many of these lecture courses.

But the aforementioned courses are quite good for wetting the palate.

Carl Trueman has a lecture series from Westminster Seminary on iTunes that is pretty good (I have only listened to the first two lectures), but it only covers the Reformation period If I recall correctly. Go to iTunes (or open the iTunes Store), click the iTunes University tab, search for Westminster Seminary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back