One of the Best, Concise, Puritan works on Election and Reprobation in Print...Really

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
The Principal Causes of Man’s Salvation – by John Brinsley (1600-1665)

John Brinsley (1600-1665), the younger, was a Presbyterian puritan divine who was a powerful Reformed Gospel preacher and writer.

Brinsley’s treatment of his principle text is one of the best Puritan treatments and biblical expositions of God’s election of men in Christ; “All that the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that cometh unto me, I will in no wise cast out,” (John 6:37). He covers three main propositions. 1. There are some among the sons of men given by God the Father to his Son Christ. 2. All those who are so given will come to him. 3. Those who so come he will in no wise cast out.

This is a clear, concise and expository work that explains the nuances of election as well as the practical application of the doctrines which apply both to Christians in election, and those God passes by in reprobation.

This work is not a scan or facsimile and has been made easy to read with an active table of contents for electronic versions.

eBooks at the Puritan Shop
The Principal Causes of Man's Salvation by John Brinsley

Kindle at Amazon
The Principal Causes of Man's Salvation: John Brinsley: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Nook at B&N
The Principal Causes of Man's Salvation by John Brinsley | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

Print Version
The Principal Causes of Man's Salvation by John Brinsley (Paperback)

PrincipleCausesJohnBrinsley.jpg

Brother, have you read Bunyan's "Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ"? If so, how does this compare?

Brother, have you read Bunyan's "Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ"? If so, how does this compare?

Bunyan is on the right track with his work. He covers some of the same ideas.

Brinsley is a bit more technical and, In my humble opinion, more penetrating and concise. Some of his quotes are things we will remember into eternity.

After reading the original post, I am tempted to purchase this book. However, my husband has kind of hit a wall when it comes to reading theological books. If he thinks the book is written over his head, he literally just stops reading the book and moves on. So, my question is:
Do you have to have a doctorate to understand this technical yet concise book on election and reprobation?

Do you have to have a doctorate to understand this technical yet concise book on election and reprobation?

Here is an extract from the book I just purchased:

Brimsley extract.jpg

As you can see, familiarity with typical theology proper terms, e.g., essence, properties, will help understand the author. But nothing that should be beyond the decently read Reformed person. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back