One of the best books on its subject that you will never read...or buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
The Reformers and Puritans had a knack for preaching in such a way as to penetrate deep into the recesses of our mind - those dark places we'd rather not discuss. Once in a while we hit one of those works that penetrate deep into sins we don't even realize we are committing. This is one of those works. We need it, but alas, I don't think many will actually take time to read it, much less buy it. Burgess deals with some hard truths that we are all guilty of.

This one is not for the faint at heart.

Foolish Talking and Jesting Described and Condemned – by Daniel Burgess (1645-1713)

Daniel Burgess (1645-1713) was a popular Reformed, Presbyterian minister, and fiery preacher, in his day.

In this very popular but needful work on foolish talking, Burgess begins with Ephesians 5:4, “Neither foolish talking nor jesting, which are not convenient.” He explains what foolish talk is, and how it can be profane, hypocritical, rash, unsuitable, unseasonable, excessive and uncharitable. Then he explains that foolish jesting is profane, unclean, unnatural, immoral, and immoderate. Finally he ends his treatise with sixteen truths to draw out of the text, and sixteen duties that God presses believers to understand from the text. His goal is that Christians may speak and converse with an end to glorify God and the Savior Jesus Christ, and not follow the way of the foolish jester who is a beast in the eyes of a holy God.

This treatise deals with difficult doctrinal truths that Christians often do not want to hear concerning the manner of their speech. It was necessary in Burgess’ day, and he pressed the issue often in his congregation. In our age of post-modernism, liberalism and “free speech” in the media, it is even more important today.

eBook package at the Puritan Shop (Kindle, Nook, PDF, eBook files rolled into one)
Foolish Talking and Jesting Described and Condemned - by Daniel Burgess (1645-1713) | The Puritan Shop

Kindle Version
Foolish Talking and Jesting Described and Condemned: Daniel Burgess: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Nook Version
BARNES & NOBLE | Foolish Talking and Jesting Described and Condemned by Daniel Burgess | NOOK Book (eBook)

Print Version
Foolish Talking and Jesting Described and Condemned by Daniel Burgess (Paperback)

FoolishJestingDanielBurgess.jpg

Well it took me about 3 thoughts to decide to purchase it for my Kindle. My first thought is I don't need this, then I thought well maybe it wont hurt to see whats in the book. Then I realized I do need this book. So I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Thank you.

Well it took me about 3 thoughts to decide to purchase it for my Kindle. My first thought is I don't need this, then I thought well maybe it wont hurt to see whats in the book. Then I realized I do need this book. So I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Thank you.

When you hit the end, and close the book, the thoughts roll on. We don't realize half the sins we commit before God with our speech alone.

Given my heightened sense of awareness concerning my "mouth" on the Puritan Board, this book seems timely.

It's tiring to hear the "Bible is antiquated" arguments from post-modernists.

This work by Burgess was written 400 years ago. And we still need to hear it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back