On too many, and yet too few books (Nathanael Ranew)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The present Age is full of Books; there be Books too many, and yet too few. Knowledge and wisdom will never in this world arrive at a Nil ultra; yet we must ever tend to perfection, and press hard to the mark.

Nathanael Ranew, ‘To the Christian Reader’ in Solitude improved by divine meditation, or, A treatise proving the duty and demonstrating the necessity, excellency, usefulness, natures, kinds and requisites of divine meditation. First intended for a person of honour, and now published for general use (London: Nathanael Ranew and Jonathon Robinson, 1670).

Ecclesiastes 12:12 "And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh."

It sounds cliche and I don't mean it to sound over-spiritual, but for the past few years I really only read the Bible. For me it's a matter of time and what is most important to fit in that time. I have probably 150 theology books that I don't even touch anymore. Maybe one day if life becomes less busy.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 "And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh."

It sounds cliche and I don't mean it to sound over-spiritual, but for the past few years I really only read the Bible. For me it's a matter of time and what is most important to fit in that time. I have probably 150 theology books that I don't even touch anymore. Maybe one day if life becomes less busy.
This reminds me of what I think to myself when I hear people say "if I only had one book besides the Bible..." I always think, a good concordance. or TSK

This reminds me of what I think to myself when I hear people say "if I only had one book besides the Bible..." I always think, a good concordance. or TSK
LOL I keep up on my good theological studies by looking at what you all are saying about topics on here.

A friend: who are your favorite theologians?
Me: People like some guy named Dave on the Puritan Board.

Last edited:
But honestly I do gain a lot of knowledge and wisdom from the Puritan Board because it's not just one man's understanding. Ideas are challenged, other perspectives are offered, and people refine each other, which helps me to really find truth after seeing multiple people's understanding.

Here's a good proverb: The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

LOL I keep up on my good theological studies by looking at what you all are saying about topics on here.

A friend: who are your favorite theologians?
Me: People like some guy named Dave on the Puritan Board.
Thank you for the kind words, but you will find people wayyyy more knowledgeable on just about everything besides me. I have almost no understanding of the deeper theological aspects of certain issues as I am more of a little worker bee than I am a student, at least at the moment. I am like you, if I get my Bible read each day, then I feel I have done my task at the most basic level. Everything else is icing on the cake.

If only Logos would quit gatekeeping and let me export mine… sigh.
I'm over 8,000 now so you got me beat. At my age I have enough, but there's always one or 10 more that I want.
I dont really know who is to blame for that? Logos or the publishers; but given they have been around more than 30 years so far, and are quickly becoming the go-to software for Biblical Studies, I dont see them stopping anytime soon; especially since they have no real competitor. I have spent about $7G in Logos, for around 4,000 books. People spend more than that all the time for a car that will last them 5-10 years. If I get that out of it, I have gotten my monies worth.

But honestly, there are so many free alternatives and public domain literature; E-Sword, theWord, Archive, Google Books, Monergism, Project Puritas; that if Logos were to go bankrupt today, I would still have more sound theological literature than I can ever read at the tip of my fingers. This is not counting the 2TBS of theological courses/lectures I already have on multiple HD's in MP4 & MP3. We live in a time where more theological resources are offered at no cost; than any theologian prior to 1900 would have possessed with all the money they could spend.

But, bibliophilia is a major, yet mostly unspoken (potential) problem in contemporary Christianity. We often see Pastors, Professors, Theologians, or even Lay commentators do their business with vast bookshelves behind them. Yet it isnt the amount of books owned that promotes knowledge; but the amount of words read and digested. This is deep rooted in Christian culture and many times is taken advantage of during the marketing of Christian literature. Many of us fear not having that one book, yet, we dont know what that book will be so we seek to buy them all. Digital publishing only worsens this because one can own 1000's of books, and they are "out of sight, out of mind" until searched for; while a person who pursues physical books, will run out of space well before reaching the 8,000 - 10,000 mark.

I also think that there is an innocent attraction with believers and books; that is, many of us are truth seekers. And internally we are fascinated by an object such as a book that could make one wiser. It could be me, but the Lord is really working on my heart about the purchasing of further literature. Unless it is a topic dealing with contemporary cultural specificities; almost all doctrine has been well articulated by dead saints. This isnt even delving into the realm of sermons; and how much more we could learn on top of & outside our local body, just listening to a sound pastor expositing scripture. That arena has almost been exhausted to infinitum by Sermon Index.

I think there is a point, at least in this generation, where a person can accumulate enough. And then all that's left is the local body, and to live for Christ to the glory of God how ever that plays out. There should no longer be a fear in the West of going theologically hungry. For me, it took about 10 years, for others, it may take less or longer time. The very sobering thing about accumulation is; where much is given, much is required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back