On the proper use of the psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing! I hadn't thought about the Psalms in that way before, especially in connection with Psalm 1.

Thank you for this post!
Unlike modern church songs which are primarily about ‘getting right to the point’ and declaring praise, the Psalms are designed to help people who don’t always feel like praising begin by meditating on the mess the world is in, and only through a full and robust process of meditation, to come out with praise.
And I would add, true christianity will be a narrow and difficult road, fraught with danger, a trying war with such beasts as roaring lions and dragons. Though victory (and praise) is always the final outcome, yet the trials themselves are essential and ordained by God to grow us. I guess Psalmody in churches can only occur if the members of the church are actually walking the biblical walk. "For we must through many tribulations enter the Kingdom of God".

I love the Psalms!

Get and read the whole book brothers! It does NOT advocate exclusive psalmody, so don't let that put you off if you don't hold to that position. What it did for my understanding of some aspects of the psalter was revolutionary.

That was a good article & looks like that book would be a great read.
The great thing about the Psalms is that they present a true testimony
of the saints experience & not some white washed "positive confession"
religion like you would find in many of todays churches,particularly
of the pentecostal/Charismatic variety. oh for a return to the singing
of the Psalms in our Reformed Assemblies.

Amen to this article!

Want to know one reason we have a fragile weak Christianity? Because we ignore the psalter.
Ever since singing from it - my understanding of the mind of Christ has increased incredibly.

It also speaks to our situation where we can sing with David and Jesus that, "your waves have all rolled over me, on me your breakers fall" - and bemoan our frame, while then being led to - "Oh why my soul do you despair, why so discouraged be? Hope now in God, I'll praise Him still, my help my God is He!" (psalm 42)

And we find that it is not opposed to the gospel to ask God to strike His enemies for the harm they do. Not that we would strike His enemies, but that He would.

And truly ecumenical! My inlaws are in my house this week visiting (cultural Catholics), and when we do our Family Worship, we have them join us. Well, they can sing from the psalter without qualms. So could my Baptist friends, or Anglicans, etc... All of those who claim to be Christians can sing from it together.

And as a post-mil I say that it will happen again, as it has in the past :)

Get and read the whole book brothers! It does NOT advocate exclusive psalmody, so don't let that put you off if you don't hold to that position. What it did for my understanding of some aspects of the psalter was revolutionary.

I might do this. I am not (and do not forsee becoming) EP but this post was very helpful. I love singing the Psalms and I think this chapter explained the differences between Psalms and Hymns well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back