On God concealing the day of Christ's birth (Thomas Mocket)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
God hath purposely concealed that day of Christ’s birth, that none might superstitiously observe it, as he did Moses sepulchre.

Thomas Mocket, Christmas, The Christian’s grand feast: Its original, growth, and observation, also of Easter, Whitsontide, and other holy days modestly discussed and determined. Also the beginning of the year, and other things observable (London: Richard Wodenoth, 1650), p. 16.

God hath purposely concealed that day of Christ’s birth, that none might superstitiously observe it, as he did Moses sepulchre.

Thomas Mocket, Christmas, The Christian’s grand feast: Its original, growth, and observation, also of Easter, Whitsontide, and other holy days modestly discussed and determined. Also the beginning of the year, and other things observable (London: Richard Wodenoth, 1650), p. 16.
I think I looked but didn't note in a note, that this may have been a common analogy. In his 12-24-1643 sermon against the observance of Christmas Day, Gillespie says the same thing: "that day is consealed and so close as {that} all {the} witts in the world cannot pouynt it out, and I contend for {that} self same reason {that} Moses’ body was."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back