On Being Black and Reformed, by Anthony J. Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
RTS distance-learning has a thing where the church can put up part of the tuition and RTS knocks off a matching ammount, so you can end up only paying a third of the cost. Maybe an "accelerated" 2-year program could be designed for folks who have a basic good knowlege of the Bible, plus some experience, e.g, the COGIC guy, that would focus on systematic theology and/or be tailored to the student's particular needs. This way we could get some more educated black clergy on the ground planting churches, then we could have sister-churches that had joint activities and get to know each other.

I'm just curious if any more folks have read this book yet. I know I posted this thread during the "holiday" break. I'm sure some folks are back now from vacation. Any more reflections and comments on this book?

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
I wonder what our black reformed brethren think of the oft-repeated instances of reformed churches and pastors romanticizing the Old South and the Confederacy - even from the pulpit.

I read and liked the book and met the man and even attended and all black church for a year, but I don't recall this point ever being addressed in the book.

Well there is a problem with romanticizing anything, because no time period or person was perfect. But there are many worse places to romanticize than the Old South and the Confederacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back