Oliver Heywood: overcoming discouragements in family worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I shall address my self to honest, well-meaning Householders, who make conscience of serving God with their Families. You may look on this as your privilege, as well as duty; I hope you do. David thought it a great mercy that he and his People had any thing to offer, and any hopes of entertainment: Oh what an honour is it that the King of Heaven gives you any admittance into his Presence-Chamber with your Families twice a day! to confess your sins, beg pardon, supplies of mercy; to give him the glory of his Goodness, to lay your Load on him, and get ease; I hope you will never be unwilling to it, or weary of it, God forbid you should: You are not weary of Mealtimes, if you be healthful; know and keep these appointed times of coming to God. ...

Be not discouraged because you cannot do so well as others: God despiseth not the day of small things: God hath babes in his Family, that chatter like a Crane or Swallow. A Child’s lisping is understood by an indulgent Father: And if a distempered Child stoop down, and reach us up any small thing, we take it kindly; so doth God when a sick Soul falls low in Humility, and reacheth high in Heavenly-mindedness. You cannot be always actually on your knees, or speaking with your tongues, but still maintain a praying-frame of heart. ...

For more, see Oliver Heywood: overcoming discouragements in family worship.

N.B. That first paragraph really hit me in relation to the sin of being weary of worship when it should be a delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back