OK, I'm officially addicted to the show 'Heroes' now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
We started watching the new season because I had never really watched it but heard it was really good. I'm hooked.

Episode 1:

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/36005/heroes-the-second-coming"]Hulu - Heroes: The Second Coming - Watch the full episode now.@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/4k4Cb1TvOkWa5xVuNM59Ww@@AMEPARAM@@4k4Cb1TvOkWa5xVuNM59Ww[/ame]

:up:

I've been watching since the first episode in the first season.

Great show. A little complicated to sort through sometimes but still a great show.

oh joy, a soap opera for men and women alike.

I don't know about that. I think it belongs in a 'comic book series' type of genre. :judge:

My wife doesn't like it a bit. She made it through half of the first season and then it got too "gross" and violent for her.

oh joy, a soap opera for men and women alike.

I don't know about that. I think it belongs in a 'comic book series' type of genre. :judge:

My wife doesn't like it a bit. She made it through half of the first season and then it got too "gross" and violent for her.

The defining feature that makes a program a soap opera is that it, according to Albert Moran, is "that form of television that works with a continuous open narrative. Each episode ends with a promise that the storyline is to be continued in another episode". Soap opera stories run concurrently, intersect, and lead into further developments. An individual episode of a soap opera will generally switch between several different concurrent story threads that may at times interconnect and affect one another, or may run entirely independent of each other. Each episode may feature some of the show's current storylines but not always all of them. There is some rotation of both storylines and actors so any given storyline or actor will appear in some but usually not all of a week's worth of episodes. Soap operas rarely "wrap things up" storywise, and generally avoid bringing all the current storylines to a conclusion at the same time. When one storyline ends there are always several other story threads at differing stages of development. Soap opera episodes typically end on some sort of cliffhanger.

yes it has all the marks of a soap opera.

But how many soap operas have people cutting skulls open and eating brain parts? :lol:

My wife only made it through half of the season premier! The "fingering your brain and talking perversely to you about it while you are still alive and writhing at my feet" was a little too much for her.

Heroes is one of those shows I watch on a week to week basis. Once 24 comes back on though, there will be a conflict of interest.

I watched soap opera's when I was young (teens/twenties) with my wife. This show is NOTHING, NOTHING like a soap opera, so please.

I watched soap opera's when I was young (teens/twenties) with my wife. This show is NOTHING, NOTHING like a soap opera, so please.

Really?
So how does it differ from the definition of a soap opera? Seems like it matches up pretty well. A soap opera is not defined on the plot itself, just merely on how the plot is presented.

Most of the sci-fi shows are soap operas as well. It is nothing new. Now it just seems that writers have gotten a bit more creative and started writing soap operas aimed more at men than women.

I object to that definition. Soaps are widely known as those sappy afternoon programs with terrible actors and stories obsessed with sex. No matter what the "official" definition may state.

:popcorn: All series TV is a form of soaps. When I catch you guys talking to the TV like my Grandma used to do, I'm getting a net.

The reason Soap Operas are called Soap Operas is not because the genre they are in post-dates the creation of the term. Comic Books and other serial novels were in existence long before the invention of television. Soap operas were named by the fact that companies that sold detergent and soap were the sponsors of the early shows and the name stuck.

And, by the way, I didn't play with dolls when I was a boy - they were action figures.

How in the world do you guys stand 5 minutes of advertisements every 8 minutes of show time? I would have finished the show this week if it wasn't for that!

How in the world do you guys stand 5 minutes of advertisements every 8 minutes of show time? I would have finished the show this week if it wasn't for that!

Try a TIVO or Windows Media Center, record the show and then watch it later and skip over them.

The reason Soap Operas are called Soap Operas is not because the genre they are in post-dates the creation of the term. Comic Books and other serial novels were in existence long before the invention of television. Soap operas were named by the fact that companies that sold detergent and soap were the sponsors of the early shows and the name stuck.

And, by the way, I didn't play with dolls when I was a boy - they were action figures.

Soap operas also predate television. They first started as radio programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back