Offended by the doctrines of grace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Barnpreacher
What's amazing to think about is what was being preached during the 17th, 18th, and early 19th century? It was mainly the doctrines of grace, right? And that 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries were the greatest periods of revival that Europe and America has ever seen. There was an open door that no man could shut. Now you have mostly anti-DoG being preached in pulpits everywhere and we find ourselves in a Laodicean, lukewarm age. Coincidence? I don't think so.

AMEN!I have also thought of this many times.I stated in the Dispensational thread about Dispie being the downfall of Christian nation.I think I change my mind after reading this.

Originally posted by tdowns007
Where does the bible state that men are "willfully ignorant"? Anybody know?

TD

2Pe 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.

2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

2Pe 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

I'm in the same place with some of my Arminian friends right now. They are so offended by the Doctrines of Grace that they find it prudent to attack me, saying things like, "Because you believe this, you are putting yourself above the authority of God." All this is just because they can't stand the idea that a free will choice is not the beginning of the salvation process.

All this is just because they can't stand the idea that a free will choice is not the beginning of the salvation process.

Tell them also it is not a middle or ending choice either. This is the hammer of grace.

Originally posted by doonziticus
They are so offended by the Doctrines of Grace that they find it prudent to attack me, saying things like, "Because you believe this, you are putting yourself above the authority of God."

Aren't they putting themselves above God saying salvation depends on man's choice rather than God's? Isn't God sovereign over everything? Doe she not have the right to choose who he saves?

Originally posted by Average Joey
Originally posted by Barnpreacher
What's amazing to think about is what was being preached during the 17th, 18th, and early 19th century? It was mainly the doctrines of grace, right? And that 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries were the greatest periods of revival that Europe and America has ever seen. There was an open door that no man could shut. Now you have mostly anti-DoG being preached in pulpits everywhere and we find ourselves in a Laodicean, lukewarm age. Coincidence? I don't think so.

AMEN!I have also thought of this many times.I stated in the Dispensational thread about Dispie being the downfall of Christian nation.I think I change my mind after reading this.

So what happened to all the reformed churches during this time ? did they simply run into their little christian huddle-groups and say 'well, we've got our doctrine right' and stop making an effort to change the culture ?

I hear so much more talking about folks 'converting' non-Calvinists into Calvinists rather than folks putting the emphasis on 'converting' non-Christians into Christians..... :deadhorse:

Think about it for a second.

And don't forget what one very wise Webmaster has said on this site:
This is a good point to remember. I find Dispensationalism an unbiblical system, but many, many Dispensationalists are very dear to me. And we as the Reformed must acknowledge that it is mostly through the efforts of solid bible-reading and believing Dispensationalists that the battle for inerrancy was carried on. Our Dispensationalist brothers were in the vanguard of the ranks.

Would you talk about your brother in a negative fashion to his face ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back