Of Which Graces Is Baptism A Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
WLC:

Q. 163. What are the parts of a sacrament?

A. The parts of the sacrament are two; the one an outward and sensible sign, used according to Christ’s own appointment; the other an inward and spiritual grace thereby signified.[1056]

Q. 165. What is baptism?

A. Baptism is a sacrament of the New Testament, wherein Christ hath ordained the washing with water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,[1058] to be a sign and seal of 1) ingrafting into himself,[1059] 2) of remission of sins by his blood,[1060] and 3) regeneration by his Spirit;[1061] of 4) adoption,[1062] and 5) resurrection unto everlasting life;[1063] and whereby the parties baptized are solemnly admitted into the visible church,[1064] and enter into an open and professed engagement to be wholly and only the Lord’s.[1065]

What are the spiritual graces signified in baptism?

1) Ingrafting into Christ
2) Remission of sins
3) Regeneration
4) Adoption
5) Resurrection
6) All of the above
7) None of the above

I understand the last part about it being a sign "whereby the parties baptized are solemnly admitted into the visible church, and enter into an open and professed engagement to be wholly and only the Lord’s."

All of the above. It is a sign and seal of all the benefits of the covenant of grace. :)

“ .to be a sign and seal of ingrafting into himself, of remission of sins by his blood, and regeneration by his Spirit; of adoption, and resurrection unto everlasting life …”

The grammatical construction and punctuation seem to point to only categories 1 through to 5 under your multi-choice answers:

1) of ingrafting into himself,
2) of remission of sins by his blood, and regeneration by his Spirit,
3) of adoption, and resurrection unto everlasting life,
4) All of the above, or
5) None of the above.

Since it is unlikely you ask the question unless the ‘obvious’ answer is ‘all of the above’ is debatable, I do not know if the restatement with 5 choices impacts your thinking? Does the regrouping under what seems the original intent make any difference?

Otherwise, I shall join Casey’s team and go for All of the above.

“ .to be a sign and seal of ingrafting into himself, of remission of sins by his blood, and regeneration by his Spirit; of adoption, and resurrection unto everlasting life …”

The grammatical construction and punctuation seem to point to only categories 1 through to 5 under your multi-choice answers:

1) of ingrafting into himself,
2) of remission of sins by his blood, and regeneration by his Spirit,
3) of adoption, and resurrection unto everlasting life,
4) All of the above, or
5) None of the above.

Since it is unlikely you ask the question unless the ‘obvious’ answer is ‘all of the above’ is debatable, I do not know if the restatement with 5 choices impacts your thinking? Does the regrouping under what seems the original intent make any difference?

Otherwise, I shall join Casey’s team and go for All of the above.

I simply enumerated them as they appear in the catechism.

-------------

Are there any other 'graces' of which baptism is a sign besides those enumerated in Q. 165?

OK, then is there something I am missing here? The question is answered in the Catechism ... you have presented those answers and appended

None
All

Is there something hiding away here that my poor little caffeine-challenged mind does not see this afternoon?

From the WCF:

9:4 When God converts a sinner and translates him into the state of grace, he freeth him from his natural bondage under sin, and, by his grace alone, enables him freely to will and to do that which is spiritually good...

10:2 This effectual call is of God's free and special grace alone...

WCF 15:1 Repentance unto life is an evangelical grace...

16:3 Their ability to do good works is not at all of themselves, but wholly from the Spirit of Christ. And that they may be enabled thereunto, besides the graces they have already received, there is required an actual influence of the same Holy Spirit to work in them to will and to do of his good pleasure...

The confession speaks of many different graces. Are all of these signified by baptism or just the ones mentioned in Q. 165?

Ken,
Perhaps the best way to answer is to say that the enumerated graces are clearly signified in baptism, but that baptism in a general way points to every grace available through Jesus Christ.

Remember, when we think of "grace", we don't conceive of it as a spiritual "substance" with properties that act and react on human beings. When we speak of various graces, we are nevertheless talking about the different ways that God by his grace affects us--we speak analytically so as to speak descriptively and specifically.

What is the (one) grace of God? It is God, himself. Compare with a human relationship. If we reduce the reality of, say, marriage to commercial activity--that is, if we speak about marriage as if it is reducible to a collection of several, disparate "graces" that it contains--we have failed to understand that all those "graces" are a byproduct of one giving himself to the other.

"What does the "wedding band" signify? Well, ..." and we can start to list some crucial aspects that are unquestionably symbolized in it. But aren't all the blessings of marriage encapsulated in that ring, in some sense?

Hope this gives you some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back