Of able age? Please help Paedobaptists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim Standard

Puritan Board Sophomore
At what point do reformed confessional padeobaptists require a confession of faith by the child of a baptized believer? I hear paedobaptists use the phrase "of able age" but I have not seen this defined.

Furthermore what physical extents if any, are placed upon the use of the word “household” such as in Acts 16:15, 1 Cor 1:16 and is there a universal understanding taken by reformed confessional padeobaptists on this subject?

:confused:

1. As soon as they are able to make one. For some children it may be younger or older than others. However one must be careful observe the desires and disciplines of a child of any age making a profession of faith. I would encourage to allow them time to grow in their love and walk with Christ before immediately subjecting them to communicant membership and partaking of the Lord's Table so as to affirm their confession.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "physical extents", could you elaborate?

1. As soon as they are able to make one. For some children it may be younger or older than others. However one must be careful observe the desires and disciplines of a child of any age making a profession of faith. I would encourage to allow them time to grow in their love and walk with Christ before immediately subjecting them to communicant membership and partaking of the Lord's Table so as to affirm their confession.
Is this the universal position? And what defines "able." Note that I am not attempting to be obstinate in any way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "physical extents", could you elaborate?
To what extent is a person within ones household? Under ones immediate home? Property? Authority? Currently living in a school for the blind yet physically separated by distance? A servant living is separate quarters? etc.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

You might really like this.

Indifferentism and Rigorism

Thank you Lynnie.
From the text
Leaders will find that as they adjust to the capabilities of children, and the congregation becomes used to instructing and exhorting children in an appropriate way at an early age, the age of baptismal candidates will decrease down to three or even two years.
The age baptismal candidates ... three or even two years.?
Is this the common practice of paedobaptists today / historically?

It varies by church or denomination. Some will accept professions of faith as early as 7, 8, 9, depending on the child. Others require adulthood at the age of 18 (esp. some of the Dutch Reformed chuches.) Our church holds a communicant members class for all 6th grade children. Those who pass the class (by making a credible profession of faith) are admitted to the supper. That would be around age 13.

I think there's something to be said for putting it off to a later age. Those who make a profession in their late teens or early adulthood are much more likely to stick to their profession.

My daughter was baptized at age 5, pretty shortly after my wife and I came to reformed/covenant baptism convictions. Even though we would have had her baptized anyway, we were convinced at that point that she had been given saving faith in Christ. Our pastor asked us the standard parental baptism vows, and was also kind enough to adapt the vows for someone being baptized upon confession of faith and asked our daughter those as well.

I know a godly young man now in his twenties who gave a credible profession at four. He is an exception. I've seen plenty of children give professions anywhere between eight and twelve. It's worded to allow for variations in intellectual, emotional, and spiritual maturity from child to child. No specific age is scripturally defensible, in my opinion.

I think there's something to be said for putting it off to a later age. Those who make a profession in their late teens or early adulthood are much more likely to stick to their profession.
Are you a paedobaptist? What do you mean by "putting it off?"

I am a paedobaptist. I'm talking about when a baptized child will be allowed to give a profession of faith, and thereby be admitted to the Lord's Supper. In my opinion it is a good idea to wait to mid to late teens, to exercise a little caution and make sure it is the child's genuine wish. At younger ages children are too prone to just want to say what will please his or her parents. Wait till they get into, past, or through the "rebellious stage."

At what point do reformed confessional padeobaptists require a confession of faith by the child of a baptized believer? I hear paedobaptists use the phrase "of able age" but I have not seen this defined.

Practically, and ordinarily, catechism class around the fifth grade age. It is in connection with the child becoming a communing member, that is able to take the Lord's Supper. The age varies, and of course, not every child becomes a communing member, but there is ordinarily a concentrated systematic effort around that time, as part of church education and ministry.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim Standard

Practically, and ordinarily, catechism class around the fifth grade age. It is in connection with the child becoming a communing member, that is able to take the Lord's Supper. The age varies, and of course, not every child becomes a communing member, but there is ordinarily a concentrated systematic effort around that time, as part of church education and ministry.

But this is exclusively for admittance to the Lord's Supper and not baptism correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back