Oatcakes and texture

Discussion in 'The Iron Chef' started by Eoghan, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eoghan

Eoghan Puritan Board Junior

Not wanting to waste a hot oven I tend to do batch baking. My last attempt at oatcakes produced ships biscuits that would break a tooth (slight exaggeration).

My question is how important are raising agents in what is essentially a flattened dry biscuit? I suspect that the baking powder and cream of tartar play a role in separation of the pinhead oatmeal to produce a more edible product than the dogs biscuits scrimping on them resulted in.

Any suggestions or observations on production of the ideal oatcake, either ingredients or method of rolling out?

I love oatcakes for breakfast, warmed, with butter and marmalade. They are also a perfect accompaniment for cheese.

2. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

I know that with oatmeal cookies rolled oats are said to give a better texture than steel cut. Also, possibly mixing in some self rising flour, if you'd rather not mess with yeast, might be a solution. Speculating, not speaking from experience with that. But as a kid I learned to make Southern biscuits from my Mississippi side of the family and self rising flour, crisco, did the trick.

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Puritan Board Sophomore

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Puritan Board Sophomore

IMG_20181130_154146490.jpg I just took these (from my linked recipe) out of the oven. I left them in longer(as per the recipe) to crisp a bit. Def not a tooth-breaker, and quite tasty.

5. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Maybe you should switch to grits.

6. Eoghan

Hi Elizabeth,
    Just checked the recipe after viewing your pic. Can you bend the oatcake a little without it breaking? I have a sneaking suspicion that we would call your oatcakes a traybake and a flapjack.

Scottish oatcakes break like a biscuit and are dry rather than moist. I love to have then with cheese as a cheese biscuit. usually 1/8th of an inch thick?? They are made with pinmeal rather than rolled oats (pictured)

7. Eoghan

I transcribed my recipe from an old jotter and missed out the butter! That is why I had ships biscuits. Followed the corrected recipe below and success!

Ingredients

½ lb fine oatmeal

1 ½ oz flour

2oz margarine

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

1 ½ oz castor sugar

2 tablespoons of milk

Method

Mix the ingredients until they form a coherent mix and roll as thin as possible before cutting.

Cooking

190C for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness

NB the baking powder and cream of tartar are vital to avoid a “ships biscuit”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.