NPP Church Fathers

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by arapahoepark, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

I came across this list of church fathers that were purported to be similar to the NPP as told by the Catholic and even some Orthodox.
    I heard Ambrosiaster said the works of the law were ceremonies but what about the others?

2. MW

MW Puritanboard Amanuensis

There is no patristic doctrine on this subject. The fathers were not considering the subject when they made their various statements and they certainly did not develop anything like an exegetical or systematic form of the doctrine.

The following assessment is from "a Commentary on the Greek Text of the Epistle of Paul to the Galatians," p. 235, by John Eadie:

Faber's Primitive Doctrine suffices to show that the Protestant doctrine is at least in harmony with patristic thought.

3. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

I am finding three of Faber's stuff: one on election, one on regeneration and another on justification. Are those the ones?

4. MW

MW Puritanboard Amanuensis

I was referring to the one on justification. I think he attempted to prove too much; but his references go a long way towards showing that the Protestant doctrine is not novel and is consistent with what the fathers taught.

5. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

A few years ago I asked the leading EO apologist if NPP was broadly harmonious with the church fathers/EO. He said the question really didn't make sense of the context. If the fathers did occasionally hit upon an NPP-sounding theme, it was largely accidental.

6. Philip

Philip Puritan Board Graduate

Which New Prespective?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.