(Not so) shameless plug for the Confessional Presbyterian Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I hereby use my vast Admin powers to ask you all to read the below and seriously consider subscribing to the Confessional Presbyterian Journal. I've known Chris for a few years now and am honored to call him a friend. I know that the work he puts into this is not for money because, frankly, there's little to no money to be found in publishing good theology and this journal is packed full of it. Each issue seems to get more massive and is dense in Reformed theology. Some of the articles have been very formative in helping me understand and crystallize some key Reformed concepts on justification especially in light of recent controversies.

Please consider a subscription. Yes it helps out a good friend but, more importantly, I'm plugging it because this journal is good for us.

The 2009 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian journal is now at the printers and is scheduled to ship December 1st. For those who have subscribed; thank you; we hope to mail out issues soon after that. If you have not yet done so, subscribe or renew now for 2009 for only $18 ($25 Institutional/Foreign). The USA rate will rise to the normal retail price of $25 beginning January 1st.

This is the largest issue to date and contains a wealth of fine material, including articles on John Calvin, Redemptive-Historical preaching, the Sabbath, Pictures of Christ, and an extensive two part examination of the Westminster Assembly's view of the nature of any abiding validity of the judicial law. For more information on the contents and to renew see the journal website; or use the links below to purchase issues. Contents is also listed below.

For a limited time purchase volumes 1-4 (2005-2008) for the 50 % savings sale price of $50 and you will get the 2009 5th issue in addition for just $5! That is over 1,400 pages of material (over 2,600 pages if it were in a normal text book format). Due to the generosity of an underwriter we are able to offer this unbelievable price for a limited time. This offer good for USA individuals only. We can ship this set over seas at half the postage for an additional $21 for a limited time compliments of our generous underwriter (added at check out). All issues will ship as a set when volume 5 is available.

USA only: Purchase volumes 1-5 for $55 here.

USA only: Purchase volume 5 only for $18 here.

Overseas: Purchase vol. 5 for $25 here.
Overseas: Purchase volumes 1-5 for $55 (+$21 shipping) here.

The 2009 Confessional Presbyterian
Table of Contents

3. The Westminster Assembly & the Judicial Law: A Chronological Compilation and Analysis. Part One: Chronology
By Chris Coldwell

56. The Westminster Assembly & the Judicial Law: A Chronological Compilation and Analysis. Part Two: Analysis
By Matthew Winzer

89. John Calvin on the Doctrine of Divine Revelation
By W. Gary Crampton. Th.D.

115. Samuel Rutherford's Contribution to Covenant Theology in Scotland
By D. Patrick Ramsey

127. Presbyterian Quintessence: The Five 'Heads' of Church Government
By Frank J. Smith, Ph.D., D.D.

161. Johannes Megapolensis: Pioneer Reformed Missionary to the Mohawks
By Wes Bredenhof

170. An Answer to the Challenge of Preaching the Old Testament: An Historical & Theological Examination of the Redemptive-Historical Approach
By Rev. Anthony T. Selvaggio, J.D., M. Div.

185. The Deacon: A Divine Right Office with Divine Uses
By C. N. Willborn

199. Francis Turretin and Barthianism: The Covenant of Works in Historical Perspective
By James J. Cassidy

214. Pictures of Jesus and the Sovereignty of Divine Revelation: Recent Literature and a Defense of the Confessional Reformed View
By David VanDrunen

229. The Sabbath Day and Recreations on the Sabbath: An Examination of the Sabbath and the Biblical Basis for the "No Recreation" Clause in Westminster Confession of Faith 21.8 and Westminster Larger Catechism 117
By Lane Keister

239. "So Great a Love"-James Durham on Christ and His Church in the Song of Solomon
By Donald John MacLean

256 Reviews & Responses:
J. Todd Billings, Union with Christ: A Doctrine in Contention; Michael Horton, Covenant and Salvation: Union with Christ; Mark A. Garcia, Life in Christ: Union with Christ and the Twofold Grace in Calvin's Theology (Jeff Waddington)256

Cornelius P. Venema, Accepted and Renewed in Christ. The "Twofold Grace of God" and the Interpretation of Calvin's Theology (Richard B. Gaffin)269

Michael S. Horton, People and Place: A Covenant Ecclesiology (Wes Bredenhof)274

Daniel R. Hyde, In Living Color: Images of Christ and the Means of Grace (Ryan M. McGraw)276

J. van Genderen and W. H. Velema, Concise Reformed Dogmatics (James E. Dolezal)278

Charles E. Hill, From the Lost Teaching of Polycarp: Identifying Irenaeus' Apostolic Presbyter and the Author of ad Diognetum (R. Scott Clark)283

Harold W. Hoehner, Ephesians: An Exegetical Commentary (Guy Prentiss Waters)286

Sinclair Ferguson, In Christ Alone: Living the Christ Centered Life (Christopher A. Hutchinson)290

Edward T. Welch, Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest (Daniel F. Patterson)292

296 Psallo: Psalm 42

298 In Translatione: Part II. John Brown of Wamphray: Singing of Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs in the Public Worship of God

305 Antiquary: The James Durham MSS Held by Glasgow University Library

308 Bibliography

324 Author Index, The Confessional Presbyterian, volumes 1-5 (2005-2009).

328 The Editor and Contributing Editors

In Brief: James Walker's Assessment of Samuel Rutherford (126) "The Office of Deacon:" Extracts from The Presbyterian Quarterly {April, 1896} (198) The Intent of Larger Catechism 109 Regarding Pictures of Christ's Humanity (227)

For the current Naphtali Press titles available see the NP site.
For the current Westminster Letter Press titles see the WLP site.

I was redirected here by your awesome powers. We have several of them and they do seem to be the product of a lot of good work (and speaking as someone who likes book with pictures, the illustrations are very nice).

I was redirected here by your awesome powers. We have several of them and they do seem to be the product of a lot of good work (and speaking as someone who likes book with pictures, the illustrations are very nice).

Perhaps you can convince Chris to make it a pop-up book.

Southern Seminary subscribes...

An OPC friend of mine recommended it! I don't get much time to read all the articles, but what I've read is good!

I am bursting with anticipation. I will order in 2-3 weeks.

Make sure you have towels near your monitor if you do, in fact, burst. Enthusiasm has a large burst radius I hear.

The last article from the last edition that I read was from a dugout canoe. Good stuff. I'll take my picture and email it to you for promo's sake ("look, this baptist guy even reads our presbyterian journal even in the boonies!").

I'm still waiting for a cartoon edition. Maybe Manga-style.

Make sure you have towels near your monitor if you do, in fact, burst. Enthusiasm has a large burst radius I hear.

The last article from the last edition that I read was from a dugout canoe. Good stuff. I'll take my picture and email it to you for promo's sake ("look, this baptist guy even reads our presbyterian journal even in the boonies!").

Oh, that already exists. I have the picture of Matthew Winzer with spiky hair and big round eyes as a poster on my wall.

:lol:
I have put drop cloths throughout. Thank you for the sound and practical advice.

:lol:
I have put drop cloths throughout. Thank you for the sound and practical advice.

Remember, some forms of extreme enthusiasm also leaves ceiling splatter. See the new forensics shows CSI- Enthusiasm Splatter Patttern Division.

Oh, that already exists. I have the picture of Matthew Winzer with spiky hair and big round eyes as a poster on my wall.

I will pay big money for this... haha.

I've already ordered mine a week ago...

Thanks for the plug, Rich. It has been a lot of fun to be on board with Chris, editing the reviews section. We have some absolutely fantastic book reviews coming in this year's edition. Of course, the main attractions are the good articles. I might especially point out the two-part article on the divines' assessment of the law, especially as it relates to the question of theonomy, and the proper interpretation of the phrase "general equity." I'm not sure there is a better collection of original source material available anywhere else on this question, and our own Matthew Winzer has done the analysis. Also, Chris and I find God's providence wonderful in allowing articles on both the images of Christ issue and the no recreation clause on the Sabbath. These, of course, are two very commonly taken exceptions to the Westminster Standards, probably the most commonly taken exceptions.

On the next pay period, which is next Friday, be prepared to send a copy to the big Texan in Houston. Am looking forward to it, and may even review it on my next podcast. Looks fantastic!

On the next pay period, which is next Friday, be prepared to send a copy to the big Texan in Houston. Am looking forward to it, and may even review it on my next podcast. Looks fantastic!

Thanks, William. Would you send a link to the podcast if and when you do it? We're always interested in what people are saying about the CPJ.

Thanks all and thanks for you who subscribed before the online store (all of the CPP stores actually) went out of commission this AM. Contact me directly if you want to order something; or if you got the promotional email use the direct links in that, which work. Meantime I have a shout out to Rich to fix the store shopping carts.

Thanks for your hard work Lane. This new issue does follow the pattern of each being better than the ones before; or at least larger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back