Non-Turkey Traditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Koster

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I'm attempting to start a non-turkey tradition tomorrow. It will involve smoking some baby-back ribs. Oh, the horror, the horror. :drool:

Do you have a non-turkey tradition, or a turkey alternative you like to serve?

Best Thanksgiving meal I can remember growing up was when we roasted hot dogs outside and heated beans in a can over the fire. We had apples for desert. Spent the week in our log cabin next to Lake McDonald in Glacier Park.

We had to chip ice to get water, but the cabin was plenty warm with a Franklin stove.

The most interesting Thanksgiving dinner we had, again when I was growing up, was when we had gotten one of those new-fangled self-cleaning ovens and my mom pressed the wrong button. The big turkey went through a 4 hour self-clean cycle and was reduced to ash. We ended up having hot dogs that time too.

I'm spending my Thanksgiving in the tropics. Looks like we will be eating pineapple, rice and beans. :D

My family doesn't like turkey. I do, but once a year is enough for me. We generally have ham. One year we had prime rib, but most years it's ham. My preference would be totally non-traditional. I would much rather have a nice steak and seafood. With four kids, it's too pricey, so ham it is. The steak and seafood will have to wait until the kids are gone. That will be a little while.

My preference would be totally non-traditional. I would much rather have a nice steak and seafood.

Just hubby and I this year, and, given the gorgeous weather up here in NW IL, we mean to grill steaks and veg. Suits me just fine!

Well, on our table today was buffalo chicken strips, pickled peppers (Czech style), and lentils (with tomatoes). Pumpkin pie of course, for dessert.

There's always Tofu -- OK Jean, duck, run!

we had gotten one of those new-fangled self-cleaning ovens and my mom pressed the wrong button. The big turkey went through a 4 hour self-clean cycle and was reduced to ash.
Your poor Mom!

You never limited this to just food, but one of the things I find myself doing on each thanksgiving is working on my sermons. :) It is just another 6 days of work in preparation for the Lord's Day!

If I would cheat on my latest eating habits, I would have Tex-Mex: Chips, Salsa, Queso, Tacos, Burritos, Fajita Nachos, Rice, Refried Beans, LOTS OF PEPPERS, etc. Now I'll be thinking of this all day. :lol:

How much Rotel do you put into your stuffing, brother?

This thread has me thinking about past Thanksgivings, the oddest of which was likely eating a turkey dinner in an RV while pulled over to the side of a road at Forest Park in St. Louis.

Best Thanksgiving meal I can remember growing up was when we roasted hot dogs outside and heated beans in a can over the fire. We had apples for desert. Spent the week in our log cabin next to Lake McDonald in Glacier Park.
Do you still have said cabin and do you rent it out?!?!?!

We thought in the dying spirit of American non-comformity we were free to skip the traditional turkey; we don't love turkey and we weren't hosting any family. We had crockpot-pulled chicken (think pulled pork, but chicken) on rolls and with cole slaw and pickles. I also made sweet potato casserole. My husband made homemade cranberry sauce. And there was wine, of course. I might make pumpkin fluff (a puddingy thing) instead of a pie eventually.

Oh, I had a nice surprise today. We decided to walk down to the local restaurant here to have something other than rice and beans. And what do you suppose we were served? Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, homemade bread, corn on the cob and some of the most delicious pumpkin pie I've ever eaten. Who would have thought you could get a traditional Thanksgiving meal in the tropics?

Today we were thankful for the 1/8" pink ring around succulent smoked baby back ribs. I cooked for my mom. She will be moving into a senior community next week. I decided to make a treat for her, in her last Thanksgiving in her house. May the LORD grant her happiness in the Presbyterian home community she is moving into.

Last edited:
If I would cheat on my latest eating habits, I would have Tex-Mex: Chips, Salsa, Queso, Tacos, Burritos, Fajita Nachos, Rice, Refried Beans, LOTS OF PEPPERS, etc. Now I'll be thinking of this all day. :lol:

How much Rotel do you put into your stuffing, brother?

No stuffing for me. But I did bake some chicken breasts last night which I had marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. During the bake, I surrounded the chicken with Ro-tel and rubbed a little bit of Cajun seasoning on the breasts. Served with salad and green beans. It was quite delicious.

Sounds delicious!

Yes. My grandmother bought the land before there was a park and the Feds never could take it from her. It helped that her husband was a Montana Supreme Court Justice, two of her sons were lawyers, and one of them worked for Montana's US Senator.

My sister owns it now. I don't think she rents it out....but she might invite you over sometime if you're nice....;)

I am gluten intolerant and my oldest son made me a chocolate pecan pie with a gluten free crust. Best pie I ever ate. I am thinking maybe from now on I should just have pie for dinner :)

Yes. My grandmother bought the land before there was a park and the Feds never could take it from her. It helped that her husband was a Montana Supreme Court Justice, two of her sons were lawyers, and one of them worked for Montana's US Senator.

My sister owns it now. I don't think she rents it out....but she might invite you over sometime if you're nice....;)

I am very, very nice: )

That is so cool that she got to keep it! GNP is the prettiest place I've been. I used to dream of teaching in a Christian school in Kalispell that I somehow heard of. I think I still dream of that!

I am gluten intolerant and my oldest son made me a chocolate pecan pie with a gluten free crust. Best pie I ever ate. I am thinking maybe from now on I should just have pie for dinner :)

I eat pretty much just the yams for Thanksgiving - I like them that much! Particularly the way my sister in law makes them. Everything else is so very good, but, those yams are extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back