Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

No Posting on Sundays?

Discussion in 'Updates & Information' started by McPatrickClan, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan Puritan Board Freshman

Should I not post on Sundays? Just not sure about the rules...

2. McPatrickClan

Got it- thanks. As an aside, I am still trying to figure out the Sabbath thing... I had a pastor who did nothing from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Just don't know a ton about The Sabbath...

3. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

4. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Moderator Staff Member

Benjamin,

Thanks for the tip . . . I ordered it too. Interestingly, I was listening to Pipa's treatment of justification (iPod) on the way home from church today.

You are one odd duck for a 27 vet of the PCUSA. Your theology just doesn't correspond to any stereotype I have of PTS in this era! Are you sure that you left PCUSA of your own choice? Or, did they run you out with the smell of tar in the air? Maybe some of the pastors invoked the sisterhood and began praying to Sophia regarding your need to leave their ranks? :lol:

5. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

I do get a little wary when I see people collecting sticks...

:lol:

I am an odd duck that is for sure...

6. kalawine

kalawine Puritan Board Junior

How about picking some heads of grain and eating them? :lol: Please forgive me :lol: (I just couldn't resist)

7. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

Trying, by God's grace to keep the Fourth Commandment is an important part of the Christian life.

Myself, Gavin, and for my family I try, by God's grace,to refrain from ordinary activities (like posting) on the Lord's Day. The high standard set in our Confession really even requires taking our thoughts, words, and deeds off of it so we focus on worship. This is very difficult to do, I don't always keep this perfectly but I have found blessing in obedience and leading the family in obedience.

Practically, my understanding is the Sabbath ends at sundown, so I try the whole day to Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy.

Blessings to you.

8. McPatrickClan

Thank you all for the suggestions on reading material.

Scott, I see the WCF statement on The Sabbath and I am sold on the idea that we should keep it until The Return of The Lord, but how did it get moved from Saturday to Sunday?

(This is not a Romans 9 type of question. I really do not know.)

9. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

See Sabbath The Day Changed; The Sabbath Preserved, A. A. Hodge
    And this exchange which has a useful chart on the appearances of the Lord after his Resurrection. Exchange between Richard Bacon and Seventh Day Adventist
    Also see James Durham on the fourth commandment from his lectures on the Ten Commandments
    The Fourth Commandment | Naphtali Press

10. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

Excellent quotes from the Church Fathers in the Hodge article. Thank you!

11. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

Here's one article that specifically addresses this:

From Sabbath to Lord’s Day « Green Baggins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.