NLT Study Bible (don't all stone me at once)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaptisticFire2007

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm not usually a fan of "dynamic equivalence" Bible translations, but I recently got my hands on a copy of the NLT Study Bible, and to be honest, it's not too bad. Dare I say, it's quite refreshing.

In terms of study resources, it contains some of the most in-depth introductions on major sections of the text, as well as book introductions, the notes are very in-depth and the layout of it isn't too bad. I know that there is a lot of talk about the ESV Study Bible, which I will also buy but it has some serious competition with this one...

NLT Study Bible (don't all stone me at once)

I was picking my stone up and then I saw "don't all stone me at once" and had a hint of compassion surface and I dropped the stone...

:rofl:

I am just going to :popcorn:

I once read the NIV study bible and the commentaries and notes gave good insight into history and context. But, I would still not use the NIV as my source because of its translation.

Right now, and for the past twelve years, six months and zero days I have used the NKJV. It is a standard reference bible, not bells and/or whistles.

I also have a NASB Living Application Study Bible (NASBLASB) that I use for historical context. The life applications are not very good - you should and blah, blah, blah. But most of the notes are scripture related. I find the NASB very readable.

Then I have a small ESV - not even a reference bible. It is okay. I am not a fan of the readability of the ESV but I am looking forward to my ESVSB coming on October 25th! Whoo and/or hoo!!!

Now, I must ask you Mr. Morrison, what bible(s) do you use? Quid pro quo.

Now, I must ask you Mr. Morrison, what bible(s) do you use? Quid pro quo.

:rotfl:

My primary bible is my NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, I really like it. I already know I am in the minority and can feel the stones coming in on me... :(

Cease fire! Cease Fire! I have a white flag raised...

Wouldn't you rather have us stone you all at once? It's much better than for it to stretch over a very long time with a pelt here and there until you're dead. That's what we'd do if we were really angry.

Picking up my NIV Insights for Living (Chuck Swindol) Study Bible to use as a stone.... :p

Thank you all for your compassion and love while you pelt me with stones and heretical translations of the bible...

I have little confidence in the NLT, Living Bible, Good News Bible, or the NIV for that matter. I have tried to read them, but I have so little confidence in the translations that I find I'm constantly wondering what my NASB or NKJV says. So I just gave up on them.

Don't sweat it.

I do most of my sermon prep and paper writing straight from my BHS4/NA27, so I actually enjoy reading the NIV and NLT for personal/relaxing bible reading. Are those translations a bit "loose" at times? Sure, but I have also found that they often get the "sense/thrust" of a phrase much better than more literal translations, precisely because they are going for that sense rather than "word-for-word".

There is a great deal more that goes into a good understanding of a passage than just picking up your HALOT/BDAG and doing one-for-one translation. I find that enthusiastic advocates of NKJV/ESV/NASB are often unaware of this, and therefore seem to dogpile on anything that is not explicitly billed as a "literal" translation. It may make people uncomfortable to hear that there is a range of meaning that has to be worked with when attempting to understand words, case usage, participial aspect, whatever, but it is there, and it allows for some of the more dynamic translations that have come out. Like I said, many times the NIV/NLT are too loose, but often they deliver the author's intended punch better than the standard translations that are favored on the PB.

I can use the dynamic translations and even the Amplified Bible to get additional insight and maybe other ways of expressing the sense of a passage, but only after I have attempted to digest a more literal translation (or the NA27), not prior to or in lieu of.

One of my best friends just bought the NLT. She enjoys it because of the plain and simple reading style and says she is often shocked at what a verse says because "she just never thought about it" when she read it in the KJV, which is so familiar to her.

Like others said, it's probably not best for studying, but I think that it makes a good reading/story Bible. I've heard it recommended for ESL students as well (doesn't it have a 4th grade reading level?)

I use the ESV and the NASB. They are both good translations in my opinion. I have read the NLT but not as the primary study text.

One of my best friends just bought the NLT. She enjoys it because of the plain and simple reading style and says she is often shocked at what a verse says because "she just never thought about it" when she read it in the KJV, which is so familiar to her.

Like others said, it's probably not best for studying, but I think that it makes a good reading/story Bible. I've heard it recommended for ESL students as well (doesn't it have a 4th grade reading level?)

I am an avid ESV user. That said, I also read dynamic equivalence translations, like the NLT. Besides, I didn't pay for mine, so if I don't like it, I'll just give it away.

I got the NLT Study Bible for free and was quite surprised by the notes in the OT they come from the perspective of the progressive dispensational standpoint (read covenantal theology).

List of contributors:
NLT Study Bible :: Welcome

While I have my strong opinions and have real problems with dynamic translations I remember what Greg Bahnsen said. He said the best translation is the one that you'll actually read......

While I have my strong opinions and have real problems with dynamic translations I remember what Greg Bahnsen said. He said the best translation is the one that you'll actually read......

While the sentiment behind that I lean towards agreeing with... It is really academically insufficient of a reason to gravitate towards a particular translation... I already used that and got a whole host of corrective rebuttals...

But that is another whole :worms:

I once read the NIV study bible and the commentaries and notes gave good insight into history and context. But, I would still not use the NIV as my source because of its translation.

There are editions called the "Zondervan Study Bible" in the King James and New American Standard translations. I don't know if they're still in print, but you could look for them.

Peter Gentry, professor at SBTS surprised me and increased my confidence in the NLT by saying when he read it he thought it was an accurate translation. THis comes from a man who, believe it or not, reads from the Hebrew and Greek as his regular texts. When he is asked, as he often is, what he uses for a translation, he humbly admits he reads the Word in original languages.

SBTS: Peter Gentry

There are editions called the "Zondervan Study Bible" in the King James and New American Standard translations. I don't know if they're still in print, but you could look for them.

Yessss!!!! A touchdown scored!!! A debate won!! I use the Zondervan Study Bible!! In the KJV!!!! The Cambridge Paragraph Scrivener KJV! I think the best ever made. In my humble opinion. I don't read to many of the notes, but I love the quality construction, Genuine Leather (Leather, ahh :lol:), and I love the KJV. Oh yea, did I say it was the KJV?

I think that it's real interesting that I/we have a 'heretical' bible on our shelves. I could use my KJV all day long, but at a certian evangelical church, if I broke out my NIV Insights for Living, they thought I was Mosses speaking the words of God to them.

grymir<---Being all things to all people......

.....again!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back