NIP - Nursing in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same principle that goes for modesty in dressing applies to being discreet and covered if and when nursing in public. Either cover or stay in a private place. My mother would have said to use good taste and not nurse in public. People continue to adapt to the ways of the culture.

I think nursing in public is great. I don't think that women should have to retreat to some secret place to nurse. I DO however, think that modesty should be observed. I think this varies from woman to woman. Some women can nurse modestly without a blanket. Some can't.

I also don't think we should be looking at the previous cultures so much as to how we should handle these matters. It's what the scriptures say that is of upmost importance.

The Puritans were huge advocates of breast feeding. Read Gouge and you will see over 10 pages that cover why breast is better than animal milk or wet nurses. They were not prudes AT ALL about this!

I ask my wife NOT to cover, because I do not think that it is a modesty issue. ;)

Can i get some footnotes on the Puritans that would agree that a woman should breast feed in mixed company?

you scored that high? so you do all that stuff???

Yes. Didn't start out doing ALL that stuff, but yes, I onboard with much of it.

-----Added 12/10/2008 at 05:44:15 EST-----

The Puritans were huge advocates of breast feeding. Read Gouge and you will see over 10 pages that cover why breast is better than animal milk or wet nurses. They were not prudes AT ALL about this!

I ask my wife NOT to cover, because I do not think that it is a modesty issue. ;)

Can i get some footnotes on the Puritans that would agree that a woman should breast feed in mixed company?

May I ask what you think Puritan mamas did during long services in the middle of winter?

I saw a thing on tv about child led weaning... the kid was 8 and loved it...weird to say the least..
you do the cloth diaper thing too??
see my dr said that if I kept breastfeeding Isaac while pg with Josh that Josh wouldn't get all the nutrients that he needed... I stopped right away... which God helped alot... Bobby gave hime some pot roast and mashed potatoes and the kid never looked back he was like 7 months old I think.

I saw a thing on tv about child led weaning... the kid was 8 and loved it...weird to say the least..
see my dr said that if I kept breastfeeding Isaac while pg with Josh that Josh wouldn't get all the nutrients that he needed... I stopped right away... which God helped alot... Bobby gave hime some pot roast and mashed potatoes and the kid never looked back he was like 7 months old I think.

An 8yr old I would have to say is possibly being over encourage by ma or is using ma as a binky/security blanket. Though some cultures, usually those with extreme nutritional issues, did/do nurse that long.

I do cloth diapers, but recently fell off the wagon on it when it came to family moving in and a cousin babysitting...hubby and cousin requested sposies, but cousin is gone again and hubby is going to be working more hours, so I'm hoping to go back to cloth.

I've never heard of breastfeeding taking nutrients from the babe a mother is pregnant with. If anything, it would be more a concern of you having too many nutrients taken from YOU. I've had hyperemesis. The body will always feed the child/embryo FIRST. So I would have asked for research to back it up...or rather, looked it up myself. There are cases where some women have such a strong uterine reflex to nursing that they have potential for miscarriage (not common, but can happen). This fear is why I always weaned when pregnant. Except this last time, I was finally comfortable with the idea and it actually helped my issues with hyperemesis/extreme morning sickness I get every other pregnancy. My 9mos old is now demanding regular food, but he still nurses as well.

I can see that... I had a really hard pregnacy... I was glad I did... maybe she did say it was for my health... it was a while ago..

The body will always feed the child/embryo FIRST.

I knew this is off topic but I find this very profound. I guess that is common knowledge to those who have had children, but I am going to have remember this one in light of the abortion issue and the sanctity of life.

Very cool!

Even after nursing 5 babies...

...I am still an awkward nurser. So I always try to have a blanket, cardigan sweater, or something that I can use to avoid over exposure in public. Just not gifted in that area of coordination, I guess. But I do know mothers/babies who are so smooth you'd never know it.

Tandem...some women have children close together (I do). Some also nurse through pregnancy because the older child wasn't weaned yet and still under 1 or 2. Tandem can mean either nursing while pregnant or nursing both a toddler and a babe.

Child led weaning...just as it sounds. Most children will naturally wean off by age 2, some by 3. Most of mine I weaned when pregnant. This last time I nursed through most of my pregnancy (helped with the hyperemesis-morning sickness) and still she was weaned before 2yrs, but on her own.

what is a crunchy mamma?

Here's a fun survey on it and don't take any score as an insult or as "better"...we're each different and have our different views. Also some people are unaware of certain options or issues.

How Crunchy Are you?

129-90 Mmm! Love that whole-grain crunch!

P.S. -- Still nursing my 2 year old for now...but ready to quit!

That's what I was! We don't think that the family bed is great for the marital bed, so I scored low there and a few other places. My daughter weaned herself two weeks before she turned one!! And I was a nursing while pregnant mama when I was pregnant with her.

dude my kids crawl in bed every night... I keep putting them back and they mysteriously are there in the bed when I wake up

what is a crunchy mamma?

Here's a fun survey on it and don't take any score as an insult or as "better"...we're each different and have our different views. Also some people are unaware of certain options or issues.

How Crunchy Are you?

That is awesome, Jessica! But totally understand the later also.

Wow, this OP has grown quickly! The quickest 892 posts to ever be posted perhaps!

Mention breasts and everyone comes running!

Wow, this OP has grown quickly! The quickest 892 posts to ever be posted perhaps!

Sadly, Pergamum is right. Of course, this was really like 19 threads in one.

I am not asking you to be the standard for mankind. I am saying look at yourself. If you can resist temptation in one area, then you can resist in other areas as well. I said nothing about difficulty. I said we can overcome.

...And I agree. I haven't said anything to the contrary. It seems like you've been arguing about overcoming while I'll been arguing about difficulty; in fact, I do agree with what you are saying. My entire point was that depending on how women expose themselves in the process of breastfeeding, it can be a stumbling block to some men. Yes, they can overcome the sin, but if a woman is free-boobin' it then the process of resisting sin becomes more difficult for some.
:detective:

My main argument was that man cannot blame his thoughts on someone else. Some were leaning towards the idea that if I saw a woman breast feeding and I lusted, then shame on her.

I agree that NIP could be a stumbling block.

How Crunchy Are you?

2 years, wow! We made it to 14 months with my first son and my husband was hinting it was time to wean. We were both ready and it went great. Now i'm on nursling number 2 who is 4 months and my older son calls it "mommy milk". He doesn't know that babies eat anything else :lol: :offtopic:

2 years, wow! We made it to 14 months with my first son and my husband was hinting it was time to wean. We were both ready and it went great. Now i'm on nursling number 2 who is 4 months and my older son calls it "mommy milk". He doesn't know that babies eat anything else :lol: :offtopic:

Yeah, I've never nursed this long either. My first two were done at about a year. We're almost done now though. He's not been two very long, but he needs a good push in the right direction. Some days he thinks he's a big boy and the next he wants to be my little baby again.

Oh, and I nursed while pregnant with my second child too. Just through the first trimester though. My first two were so easy to wean. I wish it were so easy this time. He's very attached and it's become a comfort thing.

My opinion:

If you're in church and need to nurse in public, definitely wear a head covering :lol:

My wife says:
Having just struggled with a lot of these issues with our first baby, I am all for the concept of charity- especially in the Church!
For men who wonder how you can be modest without a blanket: As long as the bebe is cooperative, there is, like, a 3 second window where the "goodies" are exposed and then they are covered up by the bebe's head and the mama's shirt. Most nursing women I know can pull this off pretty well in public and, provided that someone isn't indecently ogling, most people are none the wiser.
I am all for withdrawing to an area that is not "high traffic"- like the foyer or narthex during worship- because a squirmy baby won't draw as much attention there.
Finally, there are these awesome things now called "Hooter Hiderz" aka, "Bebe AuLait", "Peanut Shells" etc. that are super-lightweight (no baby smothering) and attach around the neck so that it is more difficult for babies to pull it down. Also, they have a peek through for mamas to be able to see their bebes while no one else can look! They are pretty awesomely helpful for public nursing.
*Note* Men (say your husband) CAN see down the peek through if they stick their head over the hole and look down. If any man tries that, he ought to either be your husband or be punched by your husband.

Elizabeth scored 105 - loves the crunch! She actually had to have a doctor tell her to stop feeding Anneliese, because she was delivering in a couple of weeks! (Which is now only two days away.)

Boy, any Freudians watching this thread could probably write a dissertation at this point...

My opinion:

If you're in church and need to nurse in public, definitely wear a head covering :lol:

My wife says:
Having just struggled with a lot of these issues with our first baby, I am all for the concept of charity- especially in the Church!
For men who wonder how you can be modest without a blanket: As long as the bebe is cooperative, there is, like, a 3 second window where the "goodies" are exposed and then they are covered up by the bebe's head and the mama's shirt. Most nursing women I know can pull this off pretty well in public and, provided that someone isn't indecently ogling, most people are none the wiser.
I am all for withdrawing to an area that is not "high traffic"- like the foyer or narthex during worship- because a squirmy baby won't draw as much attention there.
Finally, there are these awesome things now called "Hooter Hiderz" aka, "Bebe AuLait", "Peanut Shells" etc. that are super-lightweight (no baby smothering) and attach around the neck so that it is more difficult for babies to pull it down. Also, they have a peek through for mamas to be able to see their bebes while no one else can look! They are pretty awesomely helpful for public nursing.
*Note* Men (say your husband) CAN see down the peek through if they stick their head over the hole and look down. If any man tries that, he ought to either be your husband or be punched by your husband.

When I was expecting my first child 8 years ago, a friend of mine from church made me a nursing coverup that is almost exactly like what you are describing. I've used it for all 3 of my children and love it. Mine just goes right over my head and has a huge neck hole so I can peek in if I need to while still covering it up.

But, wearing a big coverup lets everyone know what you're doing. The 3 second latch-on you described has worked very well for me and no one was the wiser.

And :lol: LOL :lol: on your *note*. hee

Oh, as for the child-weaning that took place at age 8, what's up with that? Wouldn't the next one have come along when (s)he was about 2 or 3?

I'm not much on child-led anything, but I do like the idea of letting a child nurse as long as it's wanted. I was afraid that would backfire on my last, since he was such a determined nurser, but at right around two, he had a cold and found nursing difficult/uncomfortable, and that was the end of that.

Ewww...that is WAY to old, sorry that crosses the threshold into Creepy-Land.:eek:

hahaha--Last night when we were going to sleep I was telling my husband about my day at home, which involved PB, of course, so I was filling him in one some of the activities on the board.
I was sleepy-talking, if you know what that is--nothing comes out too clearly, and you are not 100% awake, but you are still wanting to talk.
Anyway, he was very confused, to say the least, about the NIP/Nudity in art connection! It made me realize how funny these two threads were by trying to explain what different concepts came up in the discussions!

My opinion:

My wife says:

Hahahaha @ your note!

Elizabeth scored 105 - loves the crunch! She actually had to have a doctor tell her to stop feeding Anneliese, because she was delivering in a couple of weeks! (Which is now only two days away.)

Boy, any Freudians watching this thread could probably write a dissertation at this point...

They'd have us all diagnosed!
How is your wife's health today? Is she feeling better??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back