Nick Needham's lecture on Bernard of Clairvaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I think that @Reformed Bookworm mentioned Nick Needham's audio lecture on Bernard of Clairvaux somewhere in a recent thread, but I just listened to it and second the recommendation. Every Reformed book from the 16th to the 18th century, other than a short sermon or tract, that I have read of late mentions Bernard at some point. I remember making that observation in another thread, then thinking a couple of hours later, "Hold on, I do not recall seeing him mentioned in James Durham's commentary on Revelation thus far" only for Durham to mention Bernard when I next sat down to read the commentary.

Dr Needham also mentions that Bernard continued to be quoted by conservative evangelicals such as C. H. Spurgeon well into the 19th century. He speculates that the ecumenical movement of the 20th century has created an ultra-Protestant backlash against ever citing anyone from the medieval church. I think we need to avoid such a reactionary approach and return to the discerning generosity of earlier Protestants (Lutheran, Reformed, and Baptist) in appreciating Bernard and other great saints of that era.

P.S. I just came across this paper on C. H. Spurgeon and Bernard of Clairvaux.

Yes I believe you're right Daniel, even Aquinas the "father" of Roman Catholicism got many things right. Bernard is quite "devotional" to use a modern word. I know I certainly did not appreciate the Fathers or Medievals prior to studying them the last couple of years, and would consciously have rejected them wholesale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back