Newsweek on Tim Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the mishmash of churches in NY it is good Redeemer can get the press (I suppose). I believe the gospel is faithfully preached at Redeemer. However, the "strange fire" that occurs for the sake of some mere man's "vision" justified by "results" is quite scary.

It is the pedestal-ing of the guy in charge that is bothersome (in this case Rev. Keller). Yes it is Newsweek putting their relativistic world view on the article, but they spin it like Keller has a plan that works whereas the other confessional churches in NY have a plan that does not work. In Reality God gave us His plan PERIOD ("work" not "work" does not matter). God's Spirit works and has a pretty impressive success rate.

I thought it was a good article. From all I've ever listened to of Keller, he is orthodox and straight forward. There's no need to shrink away from him as reformed believers simply because he has what the world would consider a "megachurch."

I'm thankful that the man is letting God use him in such a mighty way.

Like so many New Yorkers, Keller is a misfit. He's a megachurch pastor who doesn't like megachurches. He's an orthodox Christian who believes in evolution. He emulates the Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards and loves a good restaurant. He's an evangelist who relishes the power of doubt. New York is the perfect home for such an idiosyncratic Christian: "I'm probably an overeducated guy who makes things too complicated for a lot of people," he says. As it is for all New Yorkers, the question for Keller is whether he—or his vision—will ever be at home anywhere else.

How can one be orthodox and believe in evolution???

Like so many New Yorkers, Keller is a misfit. He's a megachurch pastor who doesn't like megachurches. He's an orthodox Christian who believes in evolution. He emulates the Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards and loves a good restaurant. He's an evangelist who relishes the power of doubt. New York is the perfect home for such an idiosyncratic Christian: "I'm probably an overeducated guy who makes things too complicated for a lot of people," he says. As it is for all New Yorkers, the question for Keller is whether he—or his vision—will ever be at home anywhere else.

This was from the member comments at the bottom of the article.

Posted By: DBerg @ 02/12/2008 12:27:29 PM
Comment: Don't worry too much about the evolution thing. I assume that it boils down to a nuance (sp?) concerning the six days of creation. Keller certainly believes that God created the heavens and the earth and he would certainly accept the reliability of the text in Genesis to accompish its goal - that the God who redeemed Israel from Egypt is the same God who created all things and is currently acting on behalf of his creation - redeeming it from the curse of sin!

Keller is no evolutionist. I don't believe Piper and others would associate with him if he were. And like you said how could he be considered orthodox. I think that was a spin by the reporter.

I thought the same thing... never heard that one :scratch:

From Redeemer's website:

The Academy for Christian Thought is a community of faith in Jesus Christ as the Supreme Lord of all creation, God revealed in humanity.

Partner Ministries - redeemer.com

Intro to Isaiah: Isaiah has been called "the Fifth Gospel" because of the directness and richness of his teaching about God's saving purposes in the world. The first 39 chapters lays out the holiness and sovereignty of God, the brokenness of creation, and its hopelessness apart from an intervention by God. The middle chapters—40-54—then reveal that God will rescue his creation through sheer grace and through the weakness of a chosen Servant and a renewed people. The final chapters—55-66—then reveal the nature of this new community that will exist between the death of the Servant (chapter 53) and the end of history (chapter 66.) That is where we live—between the first and second comings of Jesus Christ. How are we to live in that period? What are we to aspire to and work for during this time? What can be accomplished? Isaiah's vision is breath-taking, and it has to do with his vision of "a strong city"—the coming yet present city of God.

Redeemer Presbyterian Church

Keller's response to the "evolution" thing:
More on Tim Keller and Newsweek (EdStetzer.com)

I believe in the historicity of Gen 1-11 and Adam and Eve and I don't believe in young earth-creation or six 24-hour day creation, but, as far as she's concerned, that means I believe somewhat in evolution. She's not used to the fine distinctions on these things we make inside the church.

For some reason I have problems with that statement. Pray for me. It looks like it's one step away from unbelief.

And what exactly is the power of doubt?

And what exactly is the power of doubt?

We have to remember this article was written by a Newsweek reporter. While I actually thought it was pretty well written and a lot less jaded than it could have been, we must be careful not to let her article decide for us how we feel about Keller.

He's one of the finest preachers/teachers of the Word that I've ever listened to. Go here to decide for yourself - Reformissionary: Tim Keller Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back