News pop up notes on my computer screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I am getting news pop up notes appear on the right hand side of my computer screen. I don't recall authorising these and I don't know how to get rid of them. Any advice? Thank you :)

What browser are you using? You could try clearing everything, but I'd just switch to a different browser.

Found this....”Enable Chrome's Pop-Up Blocking Feature
  1. Click on Chrome's menu icon in the upper-right corner of the browser and click on Settings.
  2. Type "Pop" into the Search settings field.
  3. Click Site Settings.
  4. Under Popups it should say Blocked. If it says Allowed, click Pop-ups and redirects.
  5. Turn off the switch next to Allowed.

Found this....”Enable Chrome's Pop-Up Blocking Feature
  1. Click on Chrome's menu icon in the upper-right corner of the browser and click on Settings.
  2. Type "Pop" into the Search settings field.
  3. Click Site Settings.
  4. Under Popups it should say Blocked. If it says Allowed, click Pop-ups and redirects.
  5. Turn off the switch next to Allowed.
Thank you Patrick. Under Popups mine did say blocked. But I am still getting these popups :-(

Check your extensions, so see if somehow, a Chrome extension is active that you can then deactivate or uninstall. Or else it's third part software utilising Chrome somehow

Doesn't sound like malware or Chrome popups to me, based on your description. It sounds more like system news alerts. Look here:
Thank you. I found Microsoft News on my Start Menu but not a generic news icon. But the strange thing is I appear to get pop ups from news sources other than Microsoft :)

I use Antivir software. You might like to try it here. The free version is what I use: https://www.avira.com/en/start-down...HNUpuemRxeTdRV2hiZ2NGaENQTFQzNys2SCt0SlJ3bnhJ
I use Avast antivirus. I am not sure how it compares with your one.
Check your extensions, so see if somehow, a Chrome extension is active that you can then deactivate or uninstall. Or else it's third part software utilising Chrome somehow
Excuse my ignorance but what is an extension? :) Also how would I check for third part software? Thanks :)

Hi Stephen :)

I know, all the intrusion into our surfing anymore is really annoying for sure.

You might dive back into Chrome's settings, head to Advanced, and take a look at Notifications - Content Blocking. If you're not sure it's much quicker for you to do a Google search, you will find many pages with pics to show you around rather than a wordy confusing post I'm good at writing... but I would look into Notifications, you can add sites to the list of offenders who keep bothering you with their messages if you can't simply stop them outright. I use Firefox so I'm mostly unfamiliar with Chrome's specifics but it should work the same.

Most people install some form of ad blocking or script blocking tool, so if you do install something, get one with lots of good ratings and regularly updated - I like Adblock Plus. BTW, too many addons to your browser will have a consequence in performance - just some fyi :)

I like to refer to browser add-ons, plug-ins, or extensions as widgets you add to your browser that add functionality or new features to do some specific task like downloading files, news or weather forecasts, sports scores, privacy tools, maybe change the look of Chrome (this would be a Theme) - the list is endless. If you want or need any extensions you will want to get them from the Chrome store - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions - the safe extensions for Chrome like for Firefox (Mozilla Addons), usually by requirement will redirect back to the Chrome store for installation.

I see multiple comments focused on Chrome and I'm not sure why.

Stephen, it could help if you could give more detail as to the source of the popups. Is it from popping up inside the browser or just "from the right" of your screen no matter which program you're using? Perhaps capture a screenshot?

I would second what Logan said. A screenshot would be very helpful.

Logan might still be right, and it might be the Windows News app -- the source of the news wouldn't be Microsoft, as it gathers items from different sources. I managed to hunt down a screenshot:
https://filestore.community.support...16e46-4315-4b4e-979d-03a132bca787?upload=true
Look at the notification above the red box: is that what it looks like? If so, following Logan's post on disabling Windows News notifications would work, or follow these steps:
  • Click the Windows icon to open your Start menu.
  • Type 'Microsoft News'. Click the 'Best Match' result.
  • On the bottom-left you'll see a gear icon for settings.
  • Click it, and turn off all three buttons under 'Notifications'.

As for antivirus software for the ordinary user, if you're on Windows, Windows has come a long way and the builtin Windows Defender Security Center should defend you well enough while being light on your system, as long as it updates regularly.

Well you can't just leave us hanging! What was the issue?
Well I got a good variety of advice above. There were variances in the manuscripts. So I had to decide whether to go with the Majority text, the Critical text or the Received text. The Majority text is an exercise in counting noses and I don't believe the majority is a good way to test truth. I am not critical enough to go with the Critical text, so I thought it best to go with the text safely received :D

Seriously, when I turned off the Microsoft news popup option this solved the problem.

upload_2020-4-3_10-5-36.png Still getting pop up news items on my screen. I have tried your suggestions. Here is an example of it (right side of screen)

upload_2020-4-3_10-5-36.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back