New Zealand's National Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
I, like almost all Americans I would presume, was not familiar with the co-national anthem of New Zealand (alongside the Commonwealth's God Save the Queen). So when I recently came across a recorded rendition of it, and in spite of its partaking in the world's ubiquitous nod to pluralism, I was quite struck by its amazing lyrics. They are mesmerizing and in some respects even profound. I know that like all the nations of the earth New Zealand is rapidly turning its back on God, and like all its Western sisters is determindly severing any remaining tethers of the true religion that once graced her heritage. Nor, apart from Eden, has there ever been a Golden Age, or, ultimately, a laudable nation in human history. Still, as I listened, and the melancholy strains began to fade, and in heart-rending recognition of the nations' terrible plight before their rejected Creator and King, I could but whisper, O God, in thy righteous judgment remember mercy...

God Defend New Zealand

God of Nations at Thy feet,
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our free land.
Guard Pacific's triple star
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand.

Men of every creed and race,
Gather here before Thy face,
Asking Thee to bless this place,
From dissension, envy, hate,
And corruption guard our state,
Make our country good and great,
God defend New Zealand.

Peace, not war, shall be our boast,
But, should foes assail our coast,
Make us then a mighty host,
Lord of battles in Thy might,
Put our enemies to flight,
Let our cause be just and right,
God defend New Zealand.

Let our love for Thee increase,
May Thy blessings never cease,
Give us plenty, give us peace,
From dishonour and from shame,
Guard our country's spotless name,
Crown her with immortal fame,
God defend New Zealand.

May our mountains ever be
Freedom's ramparts on the sea,
Make us faithful unto Thee,
Guide her in the nations' van,
Preaching love and truth to man,
Working out Thy glorious plan,
God defend New Zealand.

Being a New Zealander Phil, I appreciated your perceptive comments. I learnt all 5 verses of the national anthem when I was at school, yet very few New Zealanders would know there were even 5 verses in the anthem!

Yes we have been blessed by a tremendous anthem (it was written by the Irishman Thomas Braken), but the spiritual state of our nation is inconsistent with the anthem. I sometimes wonder if we should now change the last line to "God have mercy on New Zealand".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back